Safety Services Staff
Renee Witherspoon, MS, RS, CSP, CIH, CHMM
Occupational Safety E-mail
Renee has over 25 years of professional experience in the environmental health and safety field. Previous work experience includes work as a compliance officer with OSHA; work as a loss prevention specialist with a major Workers’ Comp carrier; and work as a safety and industrial hygiene specialist in the largest inland petrochemical manufacturer in the United States and assisted the organization in achieving OSHA VPP Star status with best practice honors in Industrial Hygiene.
She currently is the Manager for Occupational Safety where she has responsibilities in personnel and patient safety, accident and injury response and investigation, environmental compliance, waste disposal, indoor air quality, pest control, food service inspection, Health & Safety Reviews, ergonomics, respiratory protection, fit testing and confined space entry.
She was elected to the TTUHSC Staff Senate in September 2012 and reelected in 2014, currently serving as Secretary/Treasurer. She also serves on the Infection Control Committee, Wellness Committee and member of the Rewards and Recognition Committee which developed the 2014 CARE (Celebrating And Recognizing Employees) recognition program.Education and Credentials
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry from Texas Tech; Masters of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (Occupational Safety & Health emphasis) also from Texas Tech.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM)
- Professional Sanitarian (RS)
- Texas licensed Asbestos Consultant
- Texas licensed in Water, Wastewater and Solid Waste
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) approved instructor
- Texas Water Utilities Association (TWUA) approved instructor
- DOT and IATA Instructor
- HazWOpER Instructor
- National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) training to the 400 level
- FCC Technician Class License for Amateur Radio
- Trained in Stormwater for Construction and MSGP compliance
- Trained as an Industrial Firefighter
- President (2012-2015) of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) South Plains Chapter and current Assistant Regional Vice President for Communication for Region III ASSE, and webmaster. Received “Gold” Chapter status 2012-2015.
- Region III ASSE Safety Professional of the Year in 2013.
- President Texas Environmental Health Association Panhandle/West Texas Chapter (2015-2016).
- Member and Chair of the Texas Water Utilities Association, Safety Committee (2012-Present).
- Governing Board (elected 2013) for the West Texas Boiler Safety Association.
- Chair (elected 2014) Lubbock County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). Began the Wally Wise program for Lubbock in 2006. Organized and facilitated the Commodity Flow Study for Lubbock County in 2011. Conference co-chair for the state-wide Faith-based Emergency Preparedness event for 5 years. Responsible for communications and questions regarding the annual Tier 2 reports for Lubbock County. Wrote and received $100K in grants for the organization to use in outreach to the community.
- Member - Toastmasters International. Holding highest leadership and communication award of Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) in 2011.
- Volunteer as an TCEQ EnviroMentor.
- Authored a formaldehyde safety training program for Health.edu
- Authored or co-authored 100+ safety-related articles for publications.
- Presented technical presentations at the Region III ASSE conference in 2012.
- Co-authored a QEP Poster presentation in 2013 at TTUHSC.
- Initiated the “Take a Stand” project at TTUHSC for implementation of ergonomic sit/stand workstations in 2014.