Safety Services Staff
Renee Witherspoon, MS, RS, CSP, CIH, CHMM
Occupational Safety E-mail
Renee has over 20 years of professional experience in the environmental health and safety field. Previous work experience includes work as a compliance officer with OSHA; work as a loss prevention specialist with a major Workers’ Comp carrier; and work as a safety and industrial hygiene specialist in the largest inland chemical manufacturer in the United States and assisted the organization in achieving OSHA VPP Star status with best practice honors in Industrial Hygiene.
She currently is the Manager of Occupational Safety where she is responsible for the occupational safety programs including the Health & Safety Reviews, Ergonomics, Incident/Injury Response and Investigation, Hazard Communication, Respiratory Protection/Fit Testing and Confined Spaces.
She was elected to the TTUHSC Staff Senate as an alternate in September 2011.Education and Credentials
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry from Texas Tech; Masters of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (Occupational Safety & Health emphasis) also from Texas Tech.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM)
- Professional Sanitarian (RS)
- Texas licensed Asbestos Consultant
- Texas licensed in Water, Wastewater and Solid Waste
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) approved instructor
- Texas Water Utilities Association (TWUA) approved instructor
- DOT and IATA Instructor
- HazWOpER Instructor
- National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) training to the 400 level
- FCC Technician Class License for Amateur Radio
- Trained in Stormwater for Construction and MSGP compliance
- Professional Member and Vice President of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) South Plains Chapter. Currently managing chapter website, see: http://southplains.asse.org/
- Member - Texas Environmental Health Association (TEHA)
- Member - West Texas Boiler Safety Association (WTBSA)
- Member - Air & Waste Management Association (AWMA)
- Member - Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals (AHMP)
- Member - Lubbock County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). Chair of the Public Education & Information Subcommittee. Began the Wally Wise program for Lubbock in 2006. Organized and facilitated the Commodity Flow Study for Lubbock County in 2011. Conference co-chair for the state-wide Faith-based Emergency Management event for 5 years.
- Member - Toastmasters International. Holding highest leadership and communication award of Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM).
- Volunteer as an TCEQ EnviroMentor
- Developed a Formaldehyde Safety training program for HealthNet.edu