Application Instructions - Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD
Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD - Application Instructions
Applicants must enter each research experience in the following areas: academic year (undergraduate), summer internships, and post-undergraduate. Do not enter experiences associated with a class, for example an organic chemistry lab course. Be as accurate as possible. If you are unsure where to place an experience, use your best judgement. If you have more than one type of a particular level experience, for example two summer internships, applicants must click the Add Research Experience button to add the additional summer internship experience or any other additional research experiences.
Required supplemental items are applied to an application AFTER application submission. Log into your www.BioRaider.com account and scroll down to see the supplemental items and status of those items. All required supplemental items must be received before an application is considered complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applicants should selected referees who can address the applicant's aptitude for research, desire for a career in research and science, and suitability for the academic program. At least one of the recommendations should be from a research mentor. Letters submitted outside our online recommendation system are strongly discouraged.
Applicants may be required to provide proof of ability to pay tuition/fees and living expenses as a required supplemental item to the application. Failure to provide the documentation will render your application incomplete and incomplete applications are not reviewed. These documents include:
- Bank Statement from an account belonging to the applicant showing a minimum of $33,561. The document must be in English. Amounts must be in USD or equivalent available balance.
- If the applicant has a financial sponsor, we also require a bank statement from an account belonging to the sponsor as well as a letter from the sponsor or Financial Affidavit stating their intent to financially support the applicant. The sponsor's bank statement must be in English and show an available balance in USD or equivalent at the same minimum amounts as stated above. The sponsor letter accepting financial responsibility must be signed and an electronic signature is not valid.
- Applicants with a spouse and/or children must provide proof of an additional $7,500 USD for the spouse and for each child.
- Applicants with scholarships awarded by their home countries, such as Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission, must still submit the required financial documents. We are unable to accept the SACM or other provisional financial guarantee as proof of funding until a TTUHSC admission letter is processed. In order to meet the admission requirement you will need to show proof of personal funding.
Most Pharmaceutical Sciences Ph.D. students receive a Research Assistantship in the amount of $25,000 per year. Students awarded an RA must complete a job application and successfully pass a criminal background check. Research Assistants are 50% employees of TTUHSC and are paid monthly on the first of each month. The monthly salary amount is $2,083.33 BEFOREtaxes and other deductions are subtracted by payroll.
Students with a Research Assistantship are eligible for Texas resident tuition rates and some fee waivers. More information is available on the Student Business Services website http://www.fiscal.ttuhsc.edu/busserv/bursar/financial_info.2016-2017.aspx.
Tuition and fees are set by the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents each year, generally in the summer prior to the new academic year. Expect to pay approximately $1,000 each semester, but this amount does not include opt in fees such as Medical Services and Student Recreation Center. After a student completes required coursework and enters full-time research, tuition/fees drop to around $500 each semester. Costs provided are estimates only and may not represent the true cost of tuition/fees. Applicants should consult the Student Business Services website to determine exact tuition/fees cost. http://www.fiscal.ttuhsc.edu/busserv/bursar/
The Texas Tech University System Board of Regents requires all students to have health insurance, and are required to provide proof of health insurance each year. Students who have failed to carry insurance and have suffered illness or injury resulting in high medical bills have often been financially unable to continue their education. Unlike free medical care in some countries, medical care in the U.S. is very expensive.
- A student health insurance plan is available through Academic Health Plans/Unicare. Information regarding cost and coverage is available here: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/student-services/health.aspx
- A mandatory medical services fee is required of all master's and certificate students. This fee is available as an opt-in for those with a research assistantship. While this fee does not meet the health insurance requirement, physician visits are available at a low cost co-pay. For more information regarding services provided by this fee, please visit this website: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/student-services/documents/health/StudentHealthBrochure_2017.pdf
- Research Assistants are eligible for group insurance plans offered by the State of Texas for employees. See this page for a summary of benefits http://www.ttuhsc.edu/human-resources/documents/RateSheet-PY18.pdf
To calculate benefit enrollment costs, Research Assistants should look at the information listed under part-time employees, graduate students/teaching assistants, post-doctoral and adjunct faculty.
- More information is available on the Student Health Services website: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/student-health/faqs.aspx