Douglas Stocco, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
University of Toronto, 1972
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
3601 4th Street, Mail Stop 6540
Lubbock, TX 79430
Phone: (806) 743-2505
Fax: (806) 743-2990
Reproductive Biology; regulation of steroid hormone biosynthesis, signal transduction
Our laboratory is interested in determining all aspects of those events that serve to regulate the acute production of steroid hormones following the stimulation of steroidogenic cells by trophic hormones. These projects include: 1) determining which factors are able to increase the expression of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory (StAR) Protein (that was cloned in our laboratory), 2) elucidating the signal transduction pathways involved in transducing the signals for its increased expression, 3) determining the elements within the StAR gene promoter that are involved in its transcriptional regulation, 4) characterizing the transcription factors and co-factors responsible for up-regulating StAR expression.
- Manna, P.R., Jae-Won Soh, J.W. and Stocco, D.M. 2011. Involvement of selective PKC isozymes in phorbol ester mediated regulation of the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and steroid synthesis in mouse Leydig cells. Endocrinology. 152: 313-325. PubMed
- Manna, P.R., Dyson, M.T., Jo, Y. and Stocco, D.M. 2009. Role of dosage-sensitive sex reversal, adrenal hypoplasia congenita, critical region on the x chromosome, gene 1 in protein kinase A- and protein kinase C-mediated regulation of the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression in mouse Leydig tumor cells: mechanism of action. Endocrinology 150: 187-199.
- Kowalewski, M.P., Dyson, M.T., Manna, P.R. and Stocco, D.M. 2009. The Involvement of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Gamma (PPARγ) in Gonadal Steroidogenesis and Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (STAR) Expression. Reproducton, Fertility and Development. 21: 909-922. PubMed
- Manna, P.R. and Stocco, D.M. 2007. Interaction of the Transcription Factors CREB and Fos/Jun on a Single Cis-Element Results in Repression of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein Gene. J. Mol. Endocrinol. 39: 261-277. PubMed
- Manna, P.R., Eubank, D.E. and Stocco, D.M. 2004. Assessment of the Role of Activator Protein-1 on Transcription of the Mouse Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein Gene. Mol. Endocrinol. 18: 558-573. PubMed
- Wang, XJ., Dyson, M.T., Jo, Y. and Stocco, D.M. 2003. Inhibition of Cyclooxygenase-2 Activity Enhances Steroidogenesis and Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Gene Expression in MA-10 Mouse Leydig Cells. Endocrinology 144: 3368-3375. PubMed
- Stocco, D.M. 2001. StAR Protein and the Regulation of Steroid Hormone Biosynthesis. Annual Reviews of Physiology. 63: 193-213. PubMed
- Stocco, D.M. StARTing to understand cholesterol transfer. 2000. Nature Struc. Biol. 7: 445-447. PubMed
- Wang, X.J., Walsh, L.P., Reinhart, A.J. and Stocco, D.M. 2000. The Role of Arachidonic Acid in Steroidogenesis and Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory (StAR) Gene and Protein Expression. J. Biol. Chem. 275: 20204-20209. PubMed
- Caron, K.M., Soo, S.C., Wetsel, W., Stocco, D.M., Clark, B.J., and Parker, K.L. 1997. Targeted Disruption of the Mouse Gene Encoding Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein Provides Novel Insights into Congenital Lipoid Adrenal Hyperplasia. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94:11540-11545. PubMed
- Clark, B.J., Combs, R. Hales, K.H., Hales, D.B. and Stocco, D.M. 1997. Inhibition of Transcription Affects the Synthesis of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR) and Steroidogenesis in MA-10 Mouse Leydig Tumor Cells. Endocrinology 138: 4893-4901. PubMed
- Caron, K.M., Ikeda, Y., Soo, S.C., Stocco, D.M., Parker, K.L. and Clark, B.J. 1997. Characterization of the Promoter Region of the Mouse Gene Encoding the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein. Molec. Endocrinol. 11: 138-147. PubMed
- Arakane, F., Sugawara, T., Nishino, H., Liu, Z., Holt, J.A., Pain, D., Stocco, D.M., Miller, W.L. and Strauss, J.F. 1996. Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR) Retains Activity in the Absence of Its Mitochondrial Import Sequence: Implications for the Mechanism of StAR Action. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 93: 13731-13736. [PubMed]
- Townson, D.H., X.J. Wang, P.L. Keyes, J.L. Kostyo and D.M. Stocco. 1996. Expression of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR) in the Corpus Luteum of the Rabbit: Dependence Upon the Luteotrophic Hormone, 17-Estradiol. Biol. Reprod. 55: 868-874. PubMed
- Stocco, D.M. 1996. Acute Regulation of Steroidogenesis in the Leydig Cell. in The Leydig Cell. Anita Payne, Matthew Hardy and Lonnie Russell eds. Cache River Press. pp 241-257.
- Stocco D.M. and Clark, B.J. 1996. Regulation of the Acute Production of Steroids in Steroidogenic Cells. Endocrine Reviews. 17:221-244. PubMed
- Clark, B.J., Soo, S.C., Caron, K.M., Y. Ikeda, K.L. Parker and D.M. Stocco. 1995. Hormonal and Developmental Regulation of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory (StAR) Protein. Molec. Endocrinol. 9:1346-1355. PubMed
- Sugawara, T., J.A. Holt, D. Driscoll, J.F. Strauss III, D. Lin, W.L. Miller, D. Patterson, K.P. Clancy, I.M. Hart, B.J. Clark and D.M. Stocco. 1995. Human Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR): Functional Activity in COS Cells, Tissue Specific Expression, and Mapping of the Structural Gene To 8p11.2 and an Expressed Pseudogene to Chromosome 13. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 92: 4778-4782. [PubMed]
- Lin, D., Sugawara, T., Strauss, J.F., Clark, B.J., Stocco, D.M., Saenger, P., Rogol, A. and Miller, W.L. 1995. Role of Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein in Adrenal and Gonadal Steroidogenesis. Science 267: 1828-1831. PubMed
- Clark, B.J., J. Wells, S.R. King and D.M. Stocco. 1994. The Purification, Cloning and Expression of a Novel LH-Induced Mitochondrial Protein in MA-10 Mouse Leydig Tumor Cells: Characterization of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR). J. Biol. Chem. 269: 28314-28322. PubMed