Operational Medicine 2001, Health
Care in Military Settings, NAVMED P-5139, May 1, 2001, Bureau
of Medicine and Surgery, Department of the Navy, 2300 E Street NW, Washington,
Antinuclear Antibodies are globulins that can react with the nuclei
of cells. There is a connection between the presence of these antibodies and
the presence of various auto-immune diseases.
- Most individuals with.Lupus, Scleroderma, and Rheumatoid Arthritis
will have a positive ANA test.
- About a third of individuals with Sjoegren's Disease, Dermatomyositis
and Polyarteritis will be positive for ANA.
- Some normal individuals are positive for ANA
- Some apparently normal individuals who are positive for ANA will,
later in life, develop an auto-immune disease.
- A negative ANA is strong evidence against auto-immune disease being
||1:10 (1:20 in some labs)
*These are general values taken from a variety of
sources. The actual normal values may vary from lab to lab and from one
type of testing protocol to another.