- A topical antiseptic skin cleanser with antibacterial properties.
- Contains 4% chlorhexidine gluconate
- Surgical scrub
- Pre-operative patient bathing
- Superficial skin wound cleanser
- Deep, open wounds
- Repetitive cleansing of large areas of skin.
- Keep away from the face, eyes, ears, nose and mouth. Permanent eye injury may occur
following prolonged contact.
- Middle ear contact has lead to deafness.
- Hypersensitivity reactions may occur, particularly if used in the genital area.
- 5 ml of Hibiclens
- Scrub for 3 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly
- Repeat with another 5 ml of Hibiclens
Pre-op Patient Shower
- Wet the body and hair
- Shampoo with 25 ml of Hibiclens
- Use another 25 ml of Hibiclens for the rest of the body.
- Rinse thoroughly, then repeat
Superficial Skin Wound Cleansing
- Use only in small body areas involving only superficial wounds
- Thoroughly rinse the skin
- Apply just enough Hibiclens to cover the wounded skin
- Gently cleanse, then rinse thoroughly.
Usage during Pregnancy
- Safe use has not been established.
More information on Pregnancy
The information contained here is an abbreviated summary. For more
detailed and complete information, consult the manufacturer's product information sheets
or standard textbooks
*Hibiclens (R) is the registered trademark of Zeneca Pharmaceuticals,
Operational Medicine 2001, Health
Care in Military Settings, NAVMED P-5139, May 1, 2001, Bureau
of Medicine and Surgery, Department of the Navy, 2300 E Street NW, Washington,