Military and Veterans Benefits
Veterans who are attending the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center may be eligible for the following benefits programs.
- GI Bill (Chapter 30) - The Montgomery GI Bill is for individuals who have served on Active Duty.
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31) - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) is for veterans who have a service-connected disability.
- Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) (Chapter 32) - VEAP is for post-Vietnam veterans who served between 1/1/1977 and 6/30/1985.
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) - The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for veterans, military, and military family members based on the service member completing at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
- Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) - For survivors and dependents of 100% permanently disabled or deceased veterans.
- Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) - For reservists and National Guard members.
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) - For reservists and National Guard called to active duty since 9/11/2001.
- Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) - provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans.
Applying for Benefits
Students may apply for these benefits by following the instructions located on the Veterans Affairs website, or by contacted the VA Coordinator at 806-743-2300.
- The Hazelwood Exemptions a student receives must be included in his/her financial aid package. If our office is notified of a student's participation in the Hazelwood Act after financial aid has already been packaged, the student's aid may be adjusted accordingly.
For students living in housing located on a military base or housing for which they receive a military housing allowance (Basic Allowance for Housing "BAH"), the room and board Cost of Attendance component shall include an allowance for board only. This applies to:
- independent students who receive, or whose spouse receives, a military housing allowance (BAH) or who lives on a military base; and
- dependent students who are living with parents who are receiving a military housing allowance (BAH) or who live on a military base.