Third Year Medical Student Rotation in the Specialty Clinic
During your two-week Sub-specialty Rotation, you will be introduced to various pediatric sub-specialties. The majority of your time will be spent shadowing the physician. You will see a wide array of medical conditions. We expect you to be an active learner. Although the clinic experience will expose you to some important aspects of pediatric care, we realize that it will not provide you with all you need to know about pediatrics. Thus you will need to read about your patients’ conditions and relevant topics.
On the first day of your rotation, please go to the Purple Pod and sign in with Saul or Carmen. You will sign in with him/her each morning and afternoon while you are in clinic.
- Attend all lectures on Monday afternoons (TBA) and Teaching Resident Sessions on Friday afternoons (Pedi Library, AEC 246).
- Attend Morning Report every Monday and Thursday at 8:00 a.m. (AEC 212).
- Attend Small Group Discussions every Friday at 7:30 a.m. (AEC 212).
- Take as active a role as possible. Be involved, even with the clinic staff (i.e. vital signs, measurements, immunization, vision/hearing testing, etc.).
Our goals during this clerkship are to:
- Acquaint students with the practice of pediatric medicine.
- Encourage an understanding of how to evaluate illnesses in the pediatric age group.
- Emphasize family dynamics as a major part of the teaching process.