Surgery Residency Program
“As per ACGME requirements, please be advised that the Residency Program in General Surgery at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine-El Paso is a five (5)-year program.”
Texas Tech participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
To apply for a resident position, applicants must submit the following through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS): No faxes please.
· Curriculum Vitae
· Personal Statement
· Completed TTUHSC application or ERAS application
· Official medical school transcript
· Dean's letter from the medical school of graduation
· Three current letters of recommendation
· If you have residency/fellowship experience a letter from current Program Director is required outlining the following: written verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation of rotations completed, evaluations or various educational experiences, procedural/operative experience and current standing.
· Copy of ABSITE reports if residency/fellowship experience
· Medical school diploma
· Applicant must have passed the United States Medical Licensing Examination
(USMLE) Step I & Step II (both parts: clinical knowledge and clinical skills) with a score of 190 or higher. COMLEX accepted.
Your completed application will be reviewed and if selected for interview, Residency Program Coordinator will contact you. Only a certain number of applicants will be interviewed during the months of September through January. You may apply for both PGY-1 Categorical (3 slots) and PGY-1 Preliminary (3 slots) positions.
Note to international medical graduates:
· Must be a Permanent Resident, US Citizen or hold a J1 Visa (EADs must apply for J-1 – No exceptions)
· If the document is foreign language, an official word-for-word translation on official letterhead stationery must be provided. It must be prepared by any of the following: Government official, official translation agency College/University official
· ECFMG Certification is required
If you have any further questions, Residency Program Coordinator at (915) 545-6856.