Geriatric Education Center
The TTUHSC Geriatric Education Center
In July 2010, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center was awarded a Geriatric Education Center (GEC) Grant from the Health Professions Programs of the Federal Health Resources and Services Department. The TTUHSC Faculty from the Schools of Allied Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy in Amarillo, Abilene, Permian Basin and Odessa are collaborating to bring robust and well-rounded programming linked to an established set of multidisciplinary competencies developed at TTUHSC to our students and area healthcare providers. The administration of the TTUHSC systems GEC Grant is in the Amarillo School of Medicine.
As a Center of Excellence in Geriatrics Scholarship, Training and Faculty Development, it is pertinent that as an institution, we provide leadership and support for our regional community colleges and universities in the training of health care professionals from multiple disciplines in geriatrics.
Objectives of the TTUHSC GEC Program
Our goal is to develop and disseminate geriatrics specific health care professions education for the Texas Panhandle and West Texas Regions. Our service area reaches over 80 counties most of which are rural and are designated Health Professional Shortage Areas.
1. To Improve the Training of Health Care Professionals in Geriatrics Including Traineeships and Fellowships. In addition, we will develop and disseminate curricula relating to the treatment of health problems in the elderly.
2. To Support the Training and Retraining of Faculty to Provide Instruction In Geriatrics.
3. To Support Continuing Education of Healthcare Professionals Who Provide Geriatric Care.
4. To Provide Students with Clinical Training In Geriatrics in Nursing Homes, Chronic and Acute Disease Hospitals, Ambulatory Care Centers, and Senior Centers.
5. To Provide Clinical and Didactic Training Regarding "Falls Prevention in a Variety of Clinical Settings" As A Part of an Evidence Based Practice Improvement Project.
Meet Our Faculty Project Director and Co-Directors
The TTUHSC Geriatric Education Center is comprised of faculty from the Schools of Allied Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy. Many faculty are dually appointed to more than one department. Several faculty are dually appointed in two schools or disciplines.
There are a multitude of resources developed and maintained by Geriatric Education Center programs across the United States. It is our goal to develop a library of public training resources, archive TTUHSC Geriatrics presentations, and provide quick links to resources across the US.