Sharma S. Prabhakar, M.D., MBA, FACP
Sharma S. Prabhakar, M.D., MBA, FACP
- Pathogenesis of Diabetic Nephropathy
- Molecular Mechanisms of Insulin Resistance
- Epidemiology of Chronic Kidney Disease Texas DSHS CKD Project Comprehensive Report
Current Projects | Selected Publications | Laboratory | Curriculum Vitae
- Examining the role of oxidative and nitrosative stress in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy.
- Evaluating the molecular mechanisms underlying peripheral resistance to insulin using a rat model of metabolic syndrome.
- Exploring the cross-talk between insulin signaling and angiotensin signaling mechanisms with specific reference to the implications for diabetes prevention.
- Demographics, prevalence and screening for CKD in general population to evolve preventive strategies.
- Prabhakar SS. and Muhlfelder T. Antibodies to recombinant human erythropoietin causing pure red cell aplasia , Clinical Nephrology, p 331-335, May 1997.
- Prabhakar SS., Zeballos G.A., Leonard C and Montoya M. Urea inhibits inducible Nitric Oxide synthase in macrophages at a post-transcriptional level., Am J Physiol, 273 (Cell Physiol(42), C1882- C1888. 1997.
- Prabhakar SS. Tetrahydrobiopterin reverses high glucose mediated nitric oxide inhibition cultured murine mesangial cells. Am J Physiol (Renal Physiology), 281, p F0179- F0188. 2001.
- Long DA, Newaz MA, Prabhakar SS, Price KL, Truong LD, Feng L, Mu W, Oyekan AO, and Johnson RJ. Loss of Nitric Oxide and Endothelial Derived Hyperpolarizing Factor Mediated Responses in Aging. Kidney Int. 68(5):2154-63. 2005 Nov.
- Uday M Khosla, Jennifer L Finch, Sharma S Prabhakar, Richard J Johnson. Hyperuricemia Reversibly Decreases Serum Nitric Oxide Levels in Rats. Kidney Int, 67:1739-1742, 2005.
- Goutam P Shome, , Joel D. Starnes III, Michael Shearer, Ronald Kennedy, Anthony Way, Ahmed Arif, and Sharma Prabhakar. Exhaled Nitric Oxide in Asthma: Variability, Relation to Asthma Severity, and Peripheral blood Lymphocyte Cytokine Expression. J of Asthma Vol. 43 Issue 2, p95-99, 2006.
- Prabhakar SS. Pathogenic Role of Nitric Oxide Alterations in Diabetic Nephropathy. Curr Diab Rep Dec 2005, 5(6),449-454, 2005.
- Donald E Wesson, Jan Simoni, and Sharma Prabhakar. Endothelin-induced increased nitric oxide mediates augmented distal nephron acidification as a result of dietary protein. J Am Soc Neph Feb 17(2):406-13, 2006.
- Rey Rosario and Prabhakar SS. Lipids and Diabetic Nephropathy - an Invited Review, Curr Diab Rep, 6 (6) 455-462, 2006.
- Prabhakar SS, Shi Shuping, Starnes Joel and Tran Ruc. Nephropathy in a Novel Rat Model of Type II Diabetes Is Associated With Oxidative Stress and Decreased Renal Nitric Oxide Production. J Am Soc Neph, 18, 2945-2952, 2007.
- Starnes J and Prabhakar SS. Nitric Oxide Synthase Inhibition and Kidney Injury. Current Enzyme Inhibition, 3, 95-102, May 2007.
- Prabhakar SS. Nitric oxide inhibitors in renal disorders. UK. The Biomedical Scientist ; 51(9): 721-6., 2007.
- K. Wyatt McMahon, Dora I. Zanescu, Vineeta Sood, Elmus G. Beale, and Sharma Prabhakar. The Role of 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in Diabetic Nephropathy: A new direction? Current Enzyme Inhibition, 5, 44-50, 2009.
- Harneet Kaur and Sharma Prabhakar. Novel therapies in Diabetic Nephropathy. Nephrology Reviews DOI: 10.4081/nr.2011.e4 |: 2011-05-18 11:48:14.
- Prabhakar SS. Translational Research challenges: Finding the right animal models: Journal of Investigative Medicine 60 (8), 1141-1146, 2012.
- Jennifer A Hobin, Anne M Deschamps, Richard Bockman, Stanley Cohen, Paul Dechow, Charis Eng, William Galey, Mariana Morris, Sharma Prabhakar, Usha Raj, Peter Rubenstein, John A Smith, Patrick Stover, Nancy Sung, William Talman, Richard Galbraith Engaging basic scientists in translational research: identifying opportunities, overcoming obstacles Journal of Translational Medicine 2012, 10:72 (13 April 2012)
- Chok Limsuwat and Sharma S. Prabhakar, Reversible Renal Glycosuria in Acute Interstitial Nephritis, American Journal of Medical Sciences, 344(3):245-247, September 2012. doi: 10.1097/MAJ.0b013e318254bd71
- Prabhakar SS. Angiotensin-Insulin cross talk- Implications for Insulin Resistance, Journal of Investigative Medicine. (in Press) 2013