Convocation and Graduation
2013 GSBS Convocation
Graduate School of
Monday, May 20, 2013 10:30 A.M.
International Cultural Center
Hall of Nations
601 Indiana Ave
2013 HSC Commencement
HSC All Schools Combined Commencement:
|Tuesday, May 21, 2013
United Spirit Arena
- Hooding - May, August, and December doctoral and masters candidates who have fulfilled all degree requirements by the date of convocation are allowed to participate in the hooding ceremony.
- Convocation Attendance - Graduates should advise the GSBS Office by May 1st if they will not attend convocation.
Arriving - Graduates should arrive by 9:30am on the day of convocation. Find your name on a chair in the assembly room and put on your regalia. Instructions will be given prior to the start of convocation, which starts promptly at 10am.
- Procession and Recession Practice
- Hooding Procedure
Reader Card: you will proof read your reader card for the correct degree, program, dissertation/thesis title, and name pronunciation.
- Information Card: Will be completed prior to convocation by each graduating student.
Convocation Program: Graduates will enter the event room and remain standing until all participants have assembled.
- Dean's Recognition Award Recipient is acknowledged.
- The Outstanding Graduate Student is acknowledged.
- Graduates are hooded by their advisor followed by a photograph.
- All graduates and guests are invited to attend a reception following the ceremony
- All graduates are expected to stay for the entire event.
- Guests at Convocation - Please let the GSBS Office know of any special needs for guests so that arrangements can be made in advance. Convocation lasts about 1 hour. Graduates are encouraged to advise the GSBS Office by May 1st of the number of guests they will have attending.
Regalia - Academic regalia is required for convocation. You will bring your cap, gown and hood to convocation. Regalia is rented through the Office of HSC Student Services.
- Reader Cards - The Reader at convocation attempts to pronounce each graduate's name correctly. You may provide a phonetic spelling of your name for the reader by submitting a 3"x5" index card to the GSBS Office.
- Photographs - A photographer will take individual photos as each graduate is hooded. Each graduate will receive a photo from the GSBS Office. Additional pictures can be purchased. Group photos will be taken after the convocation ceremony. At that time, family will also have an opportunity to take photos.
- Parking and Location - A map is available through the Student Services site.
- Handbags or any other articles are not to be carried during the convocation ceremony. Please leave purses, valuables, bags, jackets, etc. with your guests for safe keeping. Flowers are neither worn nor carried until after the ceremony has concluded. All cell phones will be turned off during the ceremony.
All GSBS faculty are invited to attend convocation. Faculty who will participate in the hooding of a graduate will need to wear academic regalia. Academic regalia can be ordered from the Office of HSC Student Services. Faculty participating in the hooding of a graduate candidate should arrive by 9:30 a.m. This allows time to assemble for the procession which will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m.
Future Commencement Dates
2013 GSBS Convocation - Monday, May 20th
2013 HSC Commencement - Tuesday, May 21th
2014 GSBS Convocation - Monday, May 19th
2014 HSC Commencement - Tuesday, May 20th