OU Campus Content Management System
The compare feature includes the ability to compare different versions of a page. Options of the feature include the capability to show or hide includes and to compare the rendered page or the source code for the page. The current version of the page can be compared with previous version or with the production version. When compared with other versions a source code comparison is rendered and includes files are included.
Comparing with Production Version
When comparing with the current version on the production server, either page or source view is available. If comparing in page view, hide includes is also available.
- From the Versions screen click the Compare Current to Live button. The comparison is shown for the rendered page. If configured and available, a publish target may be selected by clicking the drop-down arrow on the button.
- If so desired, click Hide Includes to hide any include files that are part of the rendered page.
- Additionally, if it is required to view a comparison of the source code, click Source to view a comparison of the source code. If viewing the source, the includes are pulled in automatically.
Comparing with a Previous Version
When comparing with versions other than the live production version, a source code comparison is rendered. This option pulls in the includes files and shows revisions in the code. It is useful for pages rendered as ASP or when the compare is not being rendered due to the format of the include files.
- From the Versions screen, hover over the menu bar for the page version and click Compare. The Version Compare is displayed.
- When comparing the staging version with previous versions, the different versions can be scrolled through or a version number can be entered with which to compare.
Examples and Legends
The following table lists the mark-up types and color-coding for comparing to the live production page in page view. For example, text that is shown in red strikethrough indicates text that was deleted. Green underlined text indicates that the text was added. Blue text with a squiggly underline indicates text that underwent a formatting change such as having applied bold or italics to the text.
| Type of Change||Color||Style|
Example of Live Version Comparison
Source and Other Versions
When comparing to the live production server version in source view or when comparing to any other version the markup is slightly different as no blue markup is provided. Any addition of text or formatting change is show in green (not underlined).
|Type of Change||Color||Style|
|Addition or Formatting Change
Example of Source Comparison
Approvers can use this feature when reviewing a page prior to publishing it. The approver (depending on the page's access settings) can then elect to publish the page, schedule it for publish, send it to another user for review, decline to publish it but keep the changes, which then sends it back to the requester, or decline to publish it and revert to the previous version. This also sends it back to the requester.
If the approver does not have publishing rights, only Send to User and Decline & Keep will be visible.