OU Campus Content Management System
Publishing a Page
This topic provides an overview as to the features and functionality that can be available
from the Publish dialog depending upon site configuration. A brief overview is provided
on this page and the bulleted items are linked to topics with more information, if
applicable. Keep in mind that content can be "published" in other manners as well,
such as with a find and replace action, directory or site publish, an expire, triggered
publish, upload to the production server, or via a template that automatically publishes
specific files upon initial creation.
Navigating to the Publish Dialog
- Page Action View: The Publish dialog can be access for a checked in or a checked out page from the
page action toolbar, which is available in preview/edit mode. The button is only shown
if the user has publishing rights.
- Pages List View: The Publish dialog can be access for a checked in or a checked out page: Hover and
from the Publish menu, choose Publish.
- Multiple pages can be selected for simultaneous publish. Select each checkbox for
a page or use the select all checkbox in the header row. The Publish option is only
made available if the selected pages would otherwise be available for publish by the
user. In other words, if a page is selected that is checked out by another user, the
Publish button will not be available.
Final Check Tab
Clicking the Publish button displays a publish screen. Within this screen the following
tools may be found:
- Final Check -This allows a final spell check, link check, and page validation to be completed
before publishing the page. The available tools will vary based on the administrator
settings. It is possible that these checks will run automatically. Simply click on
the green arrow to run the final check if it does not run automatically.
- Run All: Click to run all available checks on the selected output. See Final Check.
- Spell Check Language: The default language (as determined by the Locale setting) for the spell check dictionary
is shown, but a different dictionary can be selected by which to run the spell check
- Spelling: Checks the spelling on a page in the given language selected in the Spell Check
- Links: Checks for broken links on the page. Links may be broken due to unpublished dependencies.
If available, the Also Include Unpublished Dependencies checkbox can be selected to
publish files that have been linked to, but not yet published. See Dependency Manager.
- W3C Valid:Checks a page for valid HTML and XHTML markup, depending on the schema setting.
- Accessibility: Checks the accessibility of a page complies to the standard defined by an administrator
(i.e., WCAG, Section 508, Stanca Act, or BITV).
- Publish Target - Select the desired publish target if multiple targets available. Otherwise, the
dropdown will be blank.
- Also Include Unpublished Dependencies: This checkbox allows a user to publish all unpublished dependencies for the page
at the time of publish. When enabled, the Dependency Manager reports at the time of
page publish if there is dependent content that has not been published to the target
server. This includes content that is linked or referred to by the page that is being
published. This prevents broken links and images from occurring on the current page
being published. This option only works if Dependency Manager is enabled, dependency tags are being used on the page being published, and one or
more of the dependency tags in use refer to files that have not been published to
the current target.
- Version Description - This will allow a version description to be included in order to indicate what
was updated and why the page is being published. This can be used when choosing previous
versions in which to revert.
- Publish button
- Schedule: This tab allows for a scheduled publish, rather than an immediate publish, of the
page. A user can select the date and time of publish, and choose to repeat the publish
according to a schedule if desired. A user is also notified of publish, and can choose
to be notified in the user's OU Campus Inbox only or also to the user's external email
if configured in the user's settings.
Users are only able to complete the publish if the user has publishing rights.
Example of Publish Screen
NOTE: If there is an assigned approver, an error message will appear indicating the pages
that have to be published individually by the approver. To proceed, uncheck the listed
pages, and then click on the Publish option again.