TTUHSC IT Policies
Computer Naming Convention
To facilitate the easy identification of computers on the network, all TTUHSC computers will be named using the following convention:
- 3-letter city code (e.g., AMA, ELP, LUB, ODE)
- Department code (e.g., IT, SOM, PED)
- 6-digit Tech Inventory number (five digit tag numbers will be preceded by a zero) preceded by the letter “T” (The “T” signifies that the number is a Texas Tech Inventory ID)
- If a Tech Inventory Number is not available, use the manufacturer’s serial number without the letter “T”.
- If the manufacturer’s serial number is longer than 7 digits, use the last 7 digits of the serial number.
For example, a computer in the Lubbock I.T. Division with an inventory tag number of 7893 would be named LUBIT-T078943.