About the Jenna Welch Women's Center
History and Partnership
The Center is named to honor Mrs. Welch, in recognition of the special bond between mothers and daughters and the important influence these relationships play in women's health and wellness.
The Laura W. Bush Institute Partnership
Excellence in Research, Education and Community Outreach
- Collaboration with the Midland Charter Academy for health literacy and prevention
- Clinical research projects to measure effectiveness of women's health treatments
- Seminars for physicians assistants, medical students, resident physicians, nursing and other health care providers
- Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon and Fundraiser for local free mammography
- Quarterly Lunch and Learn seminars
- Train teachers and other community workers in effective teen pregnancy prevention initiatives
- Future adolescent wellness symposium to promote good health behaviors and risk prevention
In 2007, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC), Midland Memorial Hospital and Medical Center Hospital united to successfully create the Permian Basin presence of the Laura W. Bush Institute for Women's Health (LWBIWH). The Texas Tech University System Board of Regents approved the designation of the JWWC of the LWBIWH in October 2008. In April 2010, Texas Tech Physicians of Midland opened its doors and now houses the JWWC.