Note on database descriptions:
- The descriptions below were for the most part supplied by the database providers and have undergone minimal editing. The TTUHSC Library of the Health Sciences guarantees neither the accuracy of these descriptions nor of the information found in the databases themselves. Inclusion of a database on this list does not imply endorsement of its contents by the Library.
See: Clase and Peri�dica (ClasePeriodica) Clase and Peri�dica (ClasePeriodica)
- Source: Universidad Nacional Aut�noma de M�xico (UNAM) via OCLC Online Computer Library Center [TexShare TexSelect Databases] (paid site license)
Description: "Index of Latin American journals in the sciences and humanities. Why select this database?
- CLASE indexes documents published in Latin American journals specializing in the social sciences and humanities.
- PERI�DICA covers journals specializing in science and technology.
- Offers access to more than 400,000 bibliographic citations from documents published in 2,600 scholarly journals published in the Spanish, Portuguese, French and English languages.
- Contains information from articles, essays, book reviews, monographs, conference proceedings, technical reports, interviews and brief notes published in journals edited in 24 different countries of Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as from publications that focus on Pan-American issues."
- Note: Click here for more information about Clase and Peri�dica.
See also: OCLC FirstSearch
DNA Learning Center DNALC Dolan DNA Learning Center: Genes in Education Dolan DNA Learning Center's Gene Almanac
- Source: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (open access)
Description: "The Dolan DNA Learning Center: Genes in Education . . . web site contains a wide variety of online DNA resources as well as information on workshops, field trips, courses and educational products for students, teachers and other educators at the pre college and college levels (middle schools, high schools, junior, 2-year and community colleges and 4-year colleges and universities) as well as for professional development workshops. The Dolan DNA Learning Center is affiliated with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and offers programs and products to provide training and education. This website answers questions such as 'What is . . . ?' and 'Where can I find information on . . . .'"
Note: Click here for more information on the Dolan DNA Learning Center (DNALC).
Educational Resources Information Center ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center)
- Source: ERIC (open access)
- Coverage: 1966 to date.
Description: "The Education Resources Information Center (ERIC), sponsored by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) of the U.S. Department of Education, produces the world's premier database of journal and non-journal education literature. The ERIC online system provides the public with a centralized ERIC Web site for searching the ERIC bibliographic database of more than 1.1 million citations going back to 1966. More than 107,000 full-text non-journal documents (issued 1993-2004), previously available through fee-based services only, are now available for free. ERIC is moving forward with its modernization program, and has begun acquiring materials for addition to the database." Note: Click here for more information about ERIC.
- Source: ERIC via EBSCOhost (paid Premier Package)
- Coverage: 1967 to date.
Description: "ERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center, provides access to information from journals included in the Current Index of Journals in Education and Resources in Education Index. ERIC provides full text of more than 2,200 digests along with references for additional information and citations and abstracts from over 1,000 educational and education-related journals. EBSCO also offers the complete Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors, with which researchers can move through a file using hypertext links to broader, narrower, or related terms. Link to 792 full text journals via EBSCO's Premier Package."
Note: Click here for more information about ERIC from EBSCO.
- Source: ERIC via OCLC Online Computer Library Center [TexShare TexSelect Databases] (paid site license)
- Coverage: 1966 to date.
Description: "Journal articles and reports in education. Why select this database?
- Contains annotated references to nonjournal material issued in the monthly Resources in Education (RIE) and to journal articles issued in the monthly Current Index to Journals in Education (CIJE)."
- Note: Click here for more information about ERIC from OCLC.
- See also: OCLC FirstSearch
Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database FREIDA Online: Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database
- Source: American Medical Association (AMA) (open access)
Description: FREIDA Online is a database with over 7,800 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, as well as over 200 combined specialty programs. Besides searching for specialty and subspecialty programs, you can also search for training institutions, medical schools, aggregate training statistics by specialty, and career plans of recent graduates."
Note: Click here for more information about FREIDA Online.
Gene Almanac Genes in Education
HEAL Health Education Assets Library (HEAL)
- Source: Health Education Assets Library (HEAL) (open access)
Description: "The Health Education Assets Library (HEAL) was started in 2000 with funding from the National Science Foundation in collaboration with the National Library of Medicine and the Association of American Medical Colleges. HEAL is creating a national repository of free, web-based multimedia teaching materials in the health sciences, as a component of the National Science Digital Library, an initiative of the National Science Foundation."
- Source: OCLC Online Computer Library Center via TexShare TexSelect Databases (paid site license)
Description: "OCLC's FirstSearch� service [is] an interactive online information system available on the World Wide Web."
Note: Go directly to the component databases of OCLC FirstSearch:
- Clase and Peri�dica (ClasePeriodica)
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center)
- GPO Monthly Catalog
- OCLC ArticleFirst
- OCLC Electronic Books (Ebooks)
- OCLC Electronic Collections Online (ECO)
- OCLC PapersFirst
- OCLC ProceedingsFirst
- OCLC WorldCat (the OCLC Online Union Catalog)
- See: PubMed Central
- Source: National Library of Medicine (NLM). National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) (open access)
Description: "PubMed Central is a digital archive of life sciences journal literature, developed and managed by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM). With PubMed Central, NCBI is taking the lead in preserving and maintaining open access to the electronic literature, just as NLM has done for decades with the printed biomedical literature. PubMed Central aims to fill the role of a world class library in the digital age. It is not a journal publisher. Access to PubMed Central is free and unrestricted. Maintaining open access serves as the best test of the durability and utility of the archive as technology changes over time."
Note: Click here for more information about PubMed Central.