Statement of Professionalism
Professionalism is a Culture of Excellence that supports respect, trust, and teamwork in all aspects of our institution.
The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine is a community dedicated to the education of health care professionals in an environment that promotes and respects human dignity. We expect our faculty, staff, and physicians to conduct themselves with excellence in human service and stewardship.
Code of Conduct:
- Foster an institutional environment that promotes human dignity.
- Respect each person as an inherently and uniquely valuable member of the human community.
- Embrace a holistic view of human beings in their physical, mental, social, and spiritual dimensions.
- Provide systems, structures, and procedures which are attuned to the basic human values such as altruism, honor, fairness, and respect for others.
- Dedicate ourselves to addressing the healthcare needs of the communities of our patients and of the overall society through teaching and mentoring physicians and scientists who are competent, ethical, and compassionate.
- Accept our responsibility as faithful stewards of healthcare resources, with a commitment to the needs of the vulnerable and the disadvantaged.
- Work toward professional excellence in the educational, clinical, research, operational, and community activities of the school as described below.
- Observe, promote, and mentor professional behavior at all levels of training.
- Recognize the responsibility and the commitment of faculty to teach and to model appropriate professional behavior.
- Consistently evaluate academic offerings and address professional responsibilities throughout the curriculum.
- Provide competent care, treatment, and services in a way that respects and fosters dignity, autonomy, compassion, positive self-regard, civil rights, and involvement of patients.
- Espouse a proactive, patient-centered environment that recognizes the patient as the primary decision-maker and respects the whole person – body, mind, and spirit.
- Develop team-oriented professionals who recognize and support the contributions of the team members in achieving and sustaining optimal clinical outcomes.
- Work towards the advancement of biomedical knowledge.
- Promote the protection of individuals, the institution, and society through structures that respect human dignity and the responsible use of resources.
- Conscientiously abide by institutional, state, and federal regulations and related ethical standards in all research activities.
- Ensure faculty and staff compliance with policies and the Quality Assurance/Compliance program.
- Provide administrative leadership that is sensitive to and supportive of open communication, opportunities for honest feedback, regular assessment of performance, and recognition of employees in order to create a positive work environment.
- Model fair, efficient, and compassionate business practice.
- Maintain structures that support professional and ethical conduct by promoting financial stability, ensuring the protection of confidentiality, and promulgating professional values in marketing and billing practices.
- Assess benefits and harms to patients and the medical school community in the establishment of partnerships and the contracting with other entities.
- Embrace responsible and honest stewardship in the provision and management of resources.
- Promote ongoing dialogue with communities and offer assistance in the assessment of healthcare needs within the scope of medical education, clinical patient care, and research.
- Partner with providers in local and regional communities in addressing the healthcare needs of area residents.
- Commit resources and influence policy that meets the healthcare needs of the entire region.
Approved by the SOM Faculty Council Executive Committee
October 4, 2016
Download PRINT VERSION