Taylor Liles completed his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, as well as a Certificate in Neuroscience, from West Texas A&M University, Canyon, Texas, in December 2015. He participated in the Amarillo Biomedical Research Internship (ABRI) with the TTUHSC Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in summer of 2014. Working with Dr. Abraham Al-Ahmad, Taylor investigated the interactions between the canonical WNT pathway and hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF1) in HeLa cells. The following summer of 2015, he returned to the ABRI program to work in the lab of Dr. Luca Cucullo, investigating the effects of Vornistat on blood-brain barrier efflux transporters such as P-glycoprotein and BCRP. He joined the Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences as a PhD student in January 2016, and is presently working in the laboratory of Dr. Luca Cucullo with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, continuing his work with Vornistat at the BBB.
- BS: Biology, West Texas A&M University, Canyon, Texas, 2015
- AS: General Science, Amarillo College, Amarillo, Texas, 2013
Molecular Neuroscience; Pharmacology and Toxicology; BBB modeling
- Kaisar MA, Villalba H, Prasad S, Liles T, Sifat AE, Sajja RK, Abbruscato TJ, Cucullo L. Offsetting the impact of smoking and e-cigarette vaping on the cerebrovascular system and stroke injury: Is Metformin a viable countermeasure? Redox Biol. 2017 Jun 17;13:353-362.
- Prasad S, Sajja RK, Kaisar MA, Park JH, Villalba H, Liles T, Abbruscato T, Cucullo L. Role of Nrf2 and protective effects of Metformin against tobacco smoke-induced cerebrovascular toxicity. Redox Biol. 2017 Feb 12;12:58-69. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2017.02.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kaisar MA, Sajja RK, Prasad S, Abhyankar VV, Liles T, Cucullo L. New experimental models of the blood-brain barrier for CNS drug discovery. Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2017 Jan;12(1):89-103. Epub 2016 Nov 7.
- Kaisar MA, Prasad S, Liles T, Cucullo L. A decade of e-cigarettes: Limited research & unresolved safety concerns. Toxicology. 2016 Jul 28;365:67-75. doi: 10.1016/j.tox.2016.07.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cucullo L, Liles T. Membrane Transporters and Pharmacological Implications. J Pharmacovigil. 2016 Jun;4(3). pii: e155. Epub 2016 Jun 8
Before Admission to GPPS:
- Taylor Liles, Ravi Sajja, Shikha Prasad, Luca Cucullo. “Vorinostat induces P-glycoprotein activity in Blood-Brain Barrier Endothelium”. Amarillo Biomedical Research Internship (ABRI), TTUHSC, Amarillo, TX; August 2015.
- Taylor Liles, Abraham Al-Ahmad. “WNT Signaling at the BBB: A potential target for Stroke-Induced Vascular Leakage”. Amarillo Biomedical Research Internship (ABRI), TTUHSC, Amarillo, TX; August 2014.
After Admission to GPPS:
- Taylor Liles, Ravi K. Sajja, Shikha Prasad, Peixin Jiang, Luca Cucullo. “Vorinostat Induces Blood-Brain Barrier P-glycoprotein and BCRP Activity: Implications for its Limited use in Combination Chemotherapy.” Fifteenth Annual Research Days, TTUHSC SOP, Amarillo, TX; June 2016.
- Taylor R. Liles, Ravi K. Sajja, Shikha Prasad, Piexin Jiang, Luca Cucullo. “Vorinostat Induces P-glycoprotein and BCRP Drug Efflux Activity at the Blood-Brain Barrier: Implications for Limited Use in Combination Chemotherapy”. First Annual Meeting of the Center of Excellence for Translational Neuroscience and Therapeutics, TTUHSC, Lubbock, TX; April 2016.
- 04/26/2017 "Effects of Vorinostat on Select ABC Transporters at the Blood-Brain Barrier: Implications for Combination Chemotherapy"
- Society of Collegiate Leadership and Achievement, 2015-present
- ßßß Biological Honor Society, 2015-present
- National Society of Leadership and Success – IT Coordinator, 2014-2015
- National Society of Leadership and Success, 2014-present