Ronak Patel completed his Bachelor of Pharmacy degree from Nirma University, India in 2013. He joined the Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences as a PhD student in the Fall of 2014, and is presently working in the laboratory of Dr. Abraham Al-Ahmad with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- BPharm: Nirma University, India, 2013
Blood Brain Barrier research; Brain hypoxia and ischemia; Stem cells.
- Patel R, Page S, Al-Ahmad AJ. Isogenic blood-brain barrier models based on patient-derived stem cells display inter-individual differences in cell maturation and functionality. J Neurochem. 2017 Jul;142(1):74-88. doi: 10.1111/jnc.14040. Epub 2017 May 14.
- Patel R, Alahmad AJ. Growth-factor reduced Matrigel source influences stem cell derived brain microvascular endothelial cell barrier properties. Fluids Barriers CNS. 2016 Apr 12;13:6. doi: 10.1186/s12987-016-0030-5.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Abraham Al-Ahmad. "Development of an in vitro patient specific neurovascular unit based on induced pluripotent stem cells". Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, CA; November 2016.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Abraham Al-Ahmad. "The Neurovascular Unit in a Dish: Development of an in vitro Patient Specific Model Based on Induced Pluripotent Cells". First Annual Meeting of the Center of Excellence for Translational Neuroscience and Therapeutics [CTNT], TTUHSC, Lubbock, TX; April 2016.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Dr. Abraham Al-Ahmad. “The Neurovascular Unit in a Dish: Development of a Patient Specific in vitro Model using Stem Cells.” Student Research Week, TTUHSC Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Lubbock, TX; March 2016.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page and Abraham Al-Ahmad. "The Neurovascular Unit in a Dish: Development of a Patient Specific in vitro Model using Stem Cells". 10th Annual Drug Discovery for Neurodegeneration Conference, Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation, Miami, FL; March 2016.
- Patel Ronak; Page Shyanne; Al-Ahmad Abraham. "Hypoxia/ischemia induces barrier breakdown in stem-cell derived human brain microvascular cell monolayers". Cambridge Healthtech Institute's World Preclinical Congress – Blood Brain Barrier Conference, Boston, MA; June 2015.
- Patel, Ronak; Page, Shyanne; Cucullo, Luca; Al-Ahmad, Abraham. "Hypoxia/ischemia induces barrier breakdown in human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived brain microvascular endothelial cells". Student Research Week, TTUHSC Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Lubbock, TX; March 2015.
- 10/05/2016 "The Generation of Patient-Specific Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs)-Based Blood-Brain Barrier Model of Alzheimer's Disease to Study Amyloid-β Clearance" [Oral Qualifying Exam, public presentation]
- 11/04/2015 "Design of a patient and disease specific in-vitro model of the neurovascular unit using human induced pluripotent stem cells"
- Young Investigator Scholarship, Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation (ADDF), March 2016.
- Society for Neuroscience, 2015-present.
- Graduate Student Association at Amarillo, 2014-present.