2013 CLARION Results:
On Saturday, April 6, 2013, TTUHSC held the regional competition and the following team was chosen to represent TTUHSC at the national CLARION competition:
- Vi Bui, SoP, Amarillo
- Thien Hoang, SoP, Amarillo
- Loc Le, GSBS, Lubbock,
- Nickolas Thrash, SoN, Lubbock
The final winners from the competition were the universities from Minnesota, Missouri and New England. The TTUHSC team was well represented. We are very proud of the TTUHSC team and commend them for their efforts!
Watch the videos from the 2012 competition:
First Place, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/display/155569
Tied for Second Place
University of Minnesota - http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/display/155567
Medical University of South Carolina - http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/display/155562
What is CLARION?
CLARION is a University of Minnesota’s student initiative dedicated to improving health care through interprofessional collaboration.
Pillars of CLARION
- Interprofessional Teamwork
- Patient Safety and Quality
- Patient-Centered Care
What are the Goals?
1) To develop an understanding and appreciation of the skills that each professional brings to the healthcare team
2) to develop positive relationships which will extend into their professional careers.
- Institute of Medicine Report 1999
- 98,000 people in America may die a year due to medical errors
- Lack of communication cited as one possible cause
- JCAHO Root Causes and Percentages for Sentinel Events (All Categories) January 1995−December 2005
- Ineffective communication is a root cause for nearly 66 % of all sentinel events reported
- Health Care Administration
- Allied Health Sciences
- Other medically related field
- Cindy Acton, DNP, RN, NEA-BC
Who Can Apply?
Any full time, Jr level and above students.
Dates of Competition
April 19-20, 2013
Team Selection (TTUHSC)
- Application Call - All campuses and schools
- Offered scholarship to team members
- Final Selection Criteria
- Full time student
- Interest in Interprofessional Team
- Background and current skill set to contribute to CLARION Team
- Completion of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) on Josie King Story
- Experience in RCA and/or logic in Causal Tree
Teamwork & Activities
- Selection of Team Leader – team decision
- Organized team meetings and directed work
- Communicated with faculty via e-mail & one-to-one
- Resources provided through CLARION & QEP
- Weekend Workshop
- Finalized work on case study
- Development of Presentation
- Presentation Simulation
- Feedback from Panel of Judges
Our patients deserve the best care possible. And, to be the best healthcare provider, you must stretch outside the comforts of ordinary learning and practice the skills you admire in others or expect of yourself. Your career is important to us!
How do you benefit?
In addition to the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of “it” you will obtain through the process, each member selected will receive a $500 scholarship and all expenses paid to represent TTUHSC at the national competition.
CLARION Presentation from 2010 Fall Symposium
National CLARION website www.chip.umn.edu/clarion/casecomp/home.html
CLARION blog - http://blog.lib.umn.edu/clarion/clarioncases/
For more information, contact Cindy.Acton@ttuhsc.edu.