MOCA® Simulation Course
Fulfill requirements of the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program® in a supportive environment with minimal impact on your schedule.
Upcoming Course Dates
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM
ABOUT THE COURSE
Crisis resource management courses involve the health care process of low volume, high-risk cases. This course will provide participants with a cognitive and procedural review of the treatment of life-threatening conditions requiring rapid, definitive care. Crisis resource management scenarios also address interprofessional teamwork, which the Institute of Medicine identified as one of the core competencies needed for health professionals to be effective in the 2003 publication, Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality.
This day-long activity takes place in the state-of-the-art F. Marie Hall SimLife Center at TTUHSC Lubbock. Prepared specifically for practicing anesthesiologists, the course aims to provide review, preparation and practice for high-acuity situations, all in a comfortable and supportive environment. The course includes:
- Introduction to the principles of crisis resource management
- Extensive orientation to all mannequins and equipment
- A ventricular fibrillation scenario for orientation purposes
- Advanced airway skills workshop and review
- Ultrasound scanning skills station with standardized patient
- Intraosseous Access
- Simulated cases using state-of-the-art equipment
- Debriefing sessions after each simulation
- Practice and discussion of interprofessional teamwork skills
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of supraglottic airway devices, intubation styles, fiber optic endoscopes and video laryngoscopes individually and in combination
- Demonstrate the management of significant hypoxemia from any cause, including the difficult airway
- Demonstrate the management of significant hemodynamic instability
- Describe the principles of crisis resource management and their importance for patient safety
- Demonstrate the principles of crisis resource management as part of an interprofessional team caring for a simulated patient
- Explain and experience the importance of providing a “safe environment” as utilized in debriefing
Our convenient course schedule is designed to allow for departure during the afternoon, allowing attendees to return home with minimal impact on their busy schedules.
06:00 - 06:30 Breakfast (provided)
06:30 - 07:00 Orientation to Crisis Resource Management
07:00 - 07:30 Center/equipment orientation with participation in ventricular fibrillation scenario
07:30 - 09:30 Skill Review Stations: Airway Management/Intraosseous Access/Ultrasound Scanning for Vascular Preservation
09:30 - 10:30 Scenario and debriefing
10:30 - 11:30 Scenario and debriefing
11:30 - 12:00 Lunch (provided)
12:00 - 13:00 Scenario and debriefing
13:00 - 14:00 Scenario and debriefing
Accreditation and Physician Credit Designation
This simulation course fulfills one requirement of MOCA® Part IV. Please consult the ABA website for a list of all MOCA® requirements
TTUHSC is an endorsed program of the American Society of Anesthesiologists Simulation Education Network.
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Fee and Registration
The course fee is $1,600 and can be paid by check or major credit card. Download the registration form and submit it along with payment information. Please wait until your registration is confirmed by the course director before making travel plans.
- Cancellations more than one month prior to course date will receive a full refund minus a $250 processing fee.
- There will be no refunds for cancellations within 30 days of the course date.
- If the minimum number of course participants is not met (4 participants), the course will be cancelled at least 30 days prior to the course date. The registrants will receive a full refund.
NEW! No minimum number of registrants required
Course dates are designated as "confirmed" when a minimum number of participants has registered. Course dates are designated as "pending" until enough participants have registered. TTUHSC reserves the right to reschedule or cancel a course and refund registration fees if a minimum number of registrants is not met.
For a complete list of course dates, visit the American Society of Anesthesiologists event calendar.
Lubbock is easily accessible by major commercial airlines, with daily direct flights to the Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport (LBB) from major national hubs in Dallas, Denver, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Las Vegas, El Paso and Albuquerque. The TTUHSC campus is nine miles from the airport. Please wait until your registration is confirmed by the course director before making travel plans.
Lodging and Meals
Registrants traveling from outside the Lubbock area can choose from more than 4,800 hotel rooms in the city or take advantage of special conference rates, when reserved by phone, at these conveniently located hotels:
Overton Hotel & Conference Center
2322 Mac Davis Lane
Staybridge Suites Hotel
2525 19th St.
While you're in town, take some time to explore Lubbock, a city of more than 250,000 at the center of the South Plains of Texas. Combining small-town charm with big-city opportunities, Lubbock offers plenty to see and do ranging from world class museums to some of the state's best wineries. The home of music legend Buddy Holly, Lubbock has a rich cultural heritage and exciting night life. Get more information about visiting Lubbock.
For more information on MOCA® courses
MOCA® and Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program® are registered trademarks of The American Board of Anesthesiology, Inc.