| || |
Brandt L. Schneider, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Microbiology and Immunology
University of Arizona, 1993
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
3601 Fourth Street, STOP 6540
Lubbock, TX 79430
Phone: (806) 743-2700 X275
FAX: (806) 743-2990
Molecular Genetics of Growth Control; Role of G1-phase Cdks in Cell Size Control; Role of Cell Growth and Cell size in Cellular Aging and Lifespan Determination.
Characterization of the Molecular Mechanisms of Growth Control.
Our laboratory uses genetic, biochemical, and molecular tools to investigate the intricate connection between cellular proliferation, cell size, and aging. In cancer, for example, cells are hyper-proliferative but are thought not to age. In contrast, heart disease is brought on in part by the inability of old cells to regenerate damaged tissue. My lab has recently made the interesting finding that proliferative capacity and the rate at which cells age appears to be linked to cell size. Because enzymes known as G1-phase cyclin dependent kinases (Cdks) modulate cell size, we hypothesize that the failure of dividing cancer cells to age/die, and the inability of old cells to proliferate is mechanistically linked to G1-phase Cdk activity. Thus, the major objectives of our lab are to dissect the molecular mechanisms that link G1-phase Cdk activity to cell size and to dissect the genetic pathways that that connect cell size regulation to proliferative capacity and lifespan determination in both yeast and mammalian cells.
- McMahon KW, Manukyan, A., Dungrawala, H., Montgomery, M., Nordstrom B., Wright, J., Abraham, L., and Schneider, B.L. (2011) FASTA barcodes: a simple method for the identification of yeast ORF deletions. Yeast. [PubMed]
- Manukyan, A., Abraham, L., Dungrawala, H., Schneider, B.L. (2011) Synchronization of yeast cells. Methods in Molecular Biology, Humana Publishing. [PubMed]
- Yang J., Dungrawala, H., Hua, H., Manukyan, A., Abraham, L., Lane, W., Mead, H., Wright, J., and Schneider BL. (2011) Cell Size and growth rate are major determinants of replicative lifespan.Cell Cycle 10:1 144-155. [PubMed]
- Dungrawala, H., Manukyan, A, and Schneider, B.L. (2010) Gene Regulation: Global transcription rates scale with size. Current Biology 20(22):R979-81. [PubMed]
- Mudannayake, M., Yang, J., Hua, H., and Schneider, B.L. (2009). A relationship between cell size and cellular lifespan. Handbook of Cell Proliferation, Nova Publishing.
- Manukyan, A., Zhang, J., Thippeswamy, U., Yang, J., Zavala, N., Mudannayake, M., Asmussen, M., Schneider, C., and Schneider, B.L. (2008) Ccr4 alters cell size in yeast by modulating the timing of CLN1 and CLN2 expression. Genetics 179: 345–357. [PubMed]
- Gray, M., Piccirillo, S., Purnapatre, K., Schneider, B. L., and Honigberg, S.M. (2008). Glucose induction pathway regulates meiosis in S. cerevisiae in part by controlling turnover of Ime2p meiotic kinase. FEMS Yeast 8(5):676-84. [PubMed]
- Manukyan, A., Dungrawala, H., Zavala, N., and Schneider B.L. (2008). Cell growth and cell cycle control: Sizing up answers to a long-standing riddle. Progress in Cell Cycle Control Research, Nova Publishing.
- Jorgensen, P., Edgington, N.P., Schneider, B.L., Tyers, M., and Futcher, B. (2007). Nuclear volume increases as yeast cells grow. Mol Biol Cell. Sep;18(9):3523-32. [PubMed]
- Zhang, J. Delaguila, R., Schneider, C., and Schneider B.L. (2005). The importance of being big. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. Nov;10(2):131-41. [PubMed]
- Schneider B.L., Zhang, J., Volpe T, Tokiwa, G, Honey, S., Zhang, J., and Futcher B. (2004) Growth rate and cell size modulate the synthesis of, and requirement for G1-phase cyclins at Start. MCB vol. 24, no. 24, pp10802-10813. [PubMed]
- Day, A., Markwardt, J., Delaguila, R., Zhang, J., Purnaptre, K., Honigberg, S., and Schneider, B.L. (2004). Cell size and Cln-Cdc28 complexes regulate entry into meiosis. Cell Cycle vol. 3 no. 1, pp38-44. [PubMed]
- Schneider, B.L. and Kulesz-Martin, M.F. (2004) Destructive cycles: the role of genomic instability and adaptation in carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis vol.25 no.11 pp.2033 -2044. [PubMed]
- Day, A. Schneider, C., and Schneider, B.L. (2003) Yeast Cell Synchronization. Methods Mol Biol. 2004;241:55-76. [PubMed]
- Zhang, J. Ottmers, L., and Schneider, B.L. (2003) Using the yeast genome-wide gene deletion collection for systematic genetic screens. Methods Mol Biol. 2004;241:143-61. [PubMed]
- Zhang, J., Schneider, C., Rodriguez, R., Day, A., Ottmers, L., and Schneider, B.L. (2002) Genomic scale mutant hunt identifies cell size control genes in yeast. Current Biology12 1992-2001. [PubMed]
- Purnapatre, K., Piccrillo, S., Schneider, B.L., and Honigberg, S.M. (2002) The CLN3/SWI6/CLN2 pathway and SNF1 act sequentially to regulate meiotic initiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes to Cells 7 675-691. [PubMed]
- Honey S.H., Schneider B.L., Schieltz D.M., Yates J.R., and Futcher, B. (2001) A novel multiple affinity purification tag and its use in identification of proteins associated with a cyclin-CDK complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001 Feb 15; 29(4):E24. [PubMed]
- Schneider B.L., Patton E.E., Lanker S. Mendenhall M.D., Wittenberg C., Futcher B. and Tyers, M. (1998) Yeast G1 cyclins are unstable in G1 phase. Nature 395 86-89. [PubMed]
- Schneider B.L., Yang Q.-H., and Futcher B. (1996) Linkage of replication to Start by the Cdk inhibitor Sic1. Science 272, 560-562. [PubMed]