2009 Cardiovascular Disease & Stroke Conference
Center for Cardiovascular Disease & Stroke
Third Annual Progress & Planning Conference
Thursday August 20, 2009
2009 Cardiovascular Interest Group Progress & Planning Conference Information
Merket Alumni Center
on the Texas Tech Campus (parking is available in front of the south entrance to
the Merket Center)
No cost for TTUHSC or TTU faculty, post-docs or graduate students; limited funding
is available to cover travel and lodging costs for TTUHSC facuty from the Amarillo,
El Paso & Odessa campuses
Who Should Attend:
TTUHSC or TTU faculty or students who are interested in cardiovascular research and
education, including those who have applied for or received Cardiovascular Seed Grants
- Thursday August 20
- 8:30 am Conference Registration and Buffet Breakfast
- 9:15 am Welcome with Remarks by Dr. Steve Berk, Dean SOM
- 9:30 am Plenary Presentation A
- Carmen Hinojosa-Laborde, PhD (University of Texas HSC San Antonio)
Postmenopausal Hypertension: Role of Estrogen, Age and Salt Sensitivity
- Robert Lust, PhD (East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine)
What Does Latent Predisposition to Exercise tell us About Cardiovascular Health?
- 11:30 pm Reports from CCDS-funded researchers
- 12:30 pm Lunch
- 1:30 pm Reports from CCDS-funded researchers
- 2:50 pm Refreshment Break
- 3:00 pm Plenary Presentation A
- Chu-Huang (Mendel) Chen, MD, PhD (Baylor College of Medicine & Texas Heart Institute)
Mechanistic Basis of L5 as a Novel Treatment Target for Coronary Artery Disease
- Joel Morrisett, PhD (Baylor College of Medicine)
- 5:00 pm Reception & Poster Session
- 6:00 pm Networking Dinner
How to Register:
Click HERE for on-line registration or e-mail Jolene Turpin.
Lodging & Travel Information:
Prior to the conference, please complete your own travel applications in your department; contact Jolene Turpin (806-743-3010) for the account number to which travel expenses should be charged.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Staybridge Suites for August 19th and 20th.
Please call the hotel at 806-765-8900 by August 12 and ask to make a reservation under the group "Texas Tech Cardiovascular Conference"
and specify the date of arrival. The room and tax will be paid by the University but
the hotel will require a credit card at check-in for incidental purposes.
- August 12: Reservation deadline for the Staybridge Suites (806-765-8900); reservations
after that date are on a space-available basis
- August 14: Abstracts for oral and poster presentations due to Betsy Jones
- August 18: Deadline to register for the conference
CCDS News & Updates
On August 28, 2008, the CCDS received notice from the Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA) of project funding of $94,352.
On August 31, 2006, the CCDS received notice from HRSA of its project funding extension
through August 31, 2007. The $245,516 awarded to TTUHSC includes support for the new
and competing renewals for Seed Grant projects awarded in 2005 and 2006, as well as
for a Second Annual Cardiovascular Interest Group Progress & Planning Conference to
be held in August 2007.
Previous Conference Information
2007 Conference Information
2006 Conference Materials