Family and Community Medicine
The Department of Family & Community Medicine provides high quality health care and educational experiences. Working as a team of healthcare providers and educators, we advance a unique model of patient care characterized by
- Comprehensive and integrated care of the whole person over time, tailored to the individual’s values and choices
- Care of all ages, socio-economic statuses, ethnicities, health statuses, and both genders
- Wellness and prevention
- Relationships and collaborations based on active and open communication and trust
- Wise and practical application of knowledge
The Department of Family and Community Medicine will be a premier center for Family Medicine education, improving the quality of life in our communities and leading in the transformation of the nation’s healthcare system.
Our commitment to these core values allows us to focus our resources, manage our time, guide our decision-making, and fulfill our mission.
Respect for Humanity: Recognizing that each individual is unique and has intrinsic worth, we value human dignity and treating all individuals with compassion and respect.
Excellence: We value the pursuit of quality through continuous effort and improvement.
Integrity: We are committed to taking individual and collective responsibility for our actions and thus we value accountability, professionalism, honesty, and the highest ethical standards in all of our endeavors.
Teamwork: Because our environment requires the efforts, energies and ideas of all team members, we value collaboration, support, and mutual respect.
Knowledge: The production and use of new information is the foundation of all that we do; therefore, we value developing knowledge that is timely and relevant and using it in practical and wise manner.
Relationships: Recognizing that all we do is dependent on the quality of our personal and professional interactions, we value the development of positive and healthy relationships.
Service: We recognize our duty to fulfill the needs of our patients and learners, and thus we value efforts to be responsive, courteous, and available.
Holistic Perspective: Recognizing that success and well-being are dependent on the whole system as well as the individual parts, we value applying an integrative perspective across all areas of personal and professional functioning.
Embracing Change: Because we live and work in a dynamic environment that requires continuous learning, we value curiosity, flexibility, adaptability, creativity, and innovation.
Family Medicine Accelerated Track
Application for the Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT) is available at this site (eRaider login required). Interested students are encouraged to contact any of the FMAT faculty for more information.
Texas Tech MedCast is a series of audio programs for busy medical residents, medical students, and practicing physicians who like to "multi-task." Family Medicine currently publishes seven series:
- Diabetes Mellitus series, sponsored by the Texas Tech Center for Cardiovascular Disease & Stroke
- Reynolds Geriatric series, sponsored by the D.W. Reynolds Foundation Geriatrics Grant
- Geriatric Step2CK Test Prep Series, a series prepared by fourth-year medical students as a service to third-year students studying for the USMLE Step2CK exam
- Geriatric Step1 Test Prep Series, a series prepared by second-year medical students as a service to their peer second-year students studying for the USMLE Step1 exam
- SOAP Note 101, sponsored by the AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs
- Osteopathic Manipulation series
- PreMed Forum, topics of interest to pre-med students
- MedRaider, health topics by and for college students
- The Continuity Clinic, series of patient vignettes that focus on the relationship between the doctor and the patient, as well as longitudinal patient care.
- Texas Tech Sports Medicine, video series that demonstrate standard of care for sports medicine injuries.
- Training Docs for the Cure Series, the latest information about breast cancer screening and treatment and breast health care.