F-MAT Student Selection and Recruitment
Enrollment in the Family Medicine Accelerated Track (F-MAT) will be limited to 12
students per year. The students will be distributed among campuses in Lubbock, Amarillo,
and the Permian Basin for their third year of medical school and their three years
of family medicine residency training. As of October 2011, recruitment is underway
for both the F-MAT Class of 2014 and the F-MAT Class of 2015:
- Students eligible for the F-MAT Class of 2014 are those who are currently completing their first year of medical school in the
Texas Tech School of Medicine.
- A portion of the F-MAT Class of 2015 will be selected as part of the regular School of Medicine admissions process, so
that some students will begin medical school in August 2012 knowing that they will
be part of the F-MAT program. Remaining members of the Class of 2015 will be selected
from among first-year medical students in the fall of 2012.
Acceptance into the F-MAT program is based on merit. Criteria for admission into the
- Expressed interest in a career in primary care/ family medicine, based on information
collected during the medical school admissions process and personal statements
- Academic performance in the top 50% of the class, assessed based on performance in
faculty-prepared and standardized exams in the first two blocks of Year 1 (for students
selected during their first-year of medical school)
- Academic performance prior to medical school (for students selected prior to beginning
- Interviews with members of the F-MAT faculty
The online application for the F-MAT Class of 2014 will be open from November 1 through
midnight on January 8, 2012, accessible HERE,
through eRaider log-in. Students applying for the F-MAT Class of 2015 as part of
the regular School of Medicine admissions process may also access the online application
through January 8, 2012. Applicants are asked to write 3 short (300-word) essays to
answer the following questions:
- What motivates you to participate in the F-MAT program?
- What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program?
- What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties?
The 2011-12 timeline for the F-MAT Class of 2014 application process is as follows:
- November 1, 2011 through midnight January 8, 2012: F-MAT application is open
- January 9-20: Applicant interviews with F-MAT faculty
- February 1 (tentative): F-MAT program acceptance extended
F-MAT students will participate in the National Residency Matching Program during
their third and final year of medical school with the understanding that they will
rank first the Texas Tech family medicine residency program on the campus where they
are currently completing their final year of medical school.
Please contact the following individuals for more information about the Family Medicine
Media Requests: Mary Croyle, TTUHSC Director of Communications and Marketing
School of Medicine Curriculum Information: Simon Williams, PhD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
School of Medicine Admissions: Kimberli Peck, MD, Associate Dean for Admissions
Family Medicine Program Information: Ron Cook, DO., F-MAT Program Director; Mike Ragain, MD, Family Medicine Chair;
or Betsy Jones, EdD, F-MAT Program Evaluator