FMAT Student Selection and Recruitment
Enrollment in the Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT) will be limited to 16 students
per year. The students will be distributed among campuses in Lubbock, Amarillo, and
the Permian Basin for their third year of medical school and their three years of
family medicine residency training. Applications for the FMAT Class of 2019 and the
FMAT Class of 2020 will be accepted November 1, 2016 through February 1, 2017:
- Students eligible for the FMAT Class of 2019 are those who are currently completing their first year of medical school in the
Texas Tech School of Medicine.
- A portion of the FMAT Class of 2020 will be selected as part of the regular School of Medicine admissions process, so
that some students will begin medical school in August 2017 knowing that they will
be part of the F-MAT program. A secondary application should be submitted by those
applying for the FMAT Class of 2020. Remaining members of the Class of 2020 will be selected from among first-year medical
students in the fall of 2017.
Acceptance into the FMAT program is based on merit. Criteria for admission into the
- Expressed interest in a career in primary care/ family medicine, based on information
collected during the medical school admissions process and personal statements
- Academic performance in the top 50% of the class, assessed based on performance in
faculty-prepared and standardized exams in the first two blocks of Year 1 (for students
selected during their first-year of medical school)
- Academic performance prior to medical school (for students selected prior to beginning
- Interviews with members of the FMAT faculty
The online application for the FMAT Class of 2019 will be open from November 1 through
midnight on February 1, 2016, accessible HERE,
through eRaider log-in. Students applying for the FMAT Class of 2020 as part of the
regular School of Medicine admissions process may also access the online application
through February 1, 2017. Applicants are asked to write 3 short (300-word) essays
to answer the following questions:
- What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program?
- What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program?
- What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties?
The 2016-17 timeline for the FMAT Class of 2019 application process is as follows:
- November 1, 2016 through midnight February 1, 2017: FMAT application is open
- February 8: Applicant interviews with FMAT faculty
- February 16 (tentative): FMAT program acceptance extended
FMAT students will participate in the National Residency Matching Program during their
third and final year of medical school with the understanding that they will rank
first the Texas Tech family medicine residency program on the campus where they are
currently completing their final year of medical school.
Please contact the following individuals for more information about the Family Medicine
Media Requests: Mary Croyle, TTUHSC Director of Communications and Marketing
School of Medicine Curriculum Information: Simon Williams, PhD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
School of Medicine Admissions: Kimberli Peck, MD, Associate Dean for Admissions
Family Medicine Program Information: Betsy Jones, EdD, F-MAT Program Co-Director or Ron Cook, DO., F-MAT Program Co-Director