F-MAT Student Selection and Recruitment
Enrollment in the Family Medicine Accelerated Track (F-MAT) will be limited to 16 students per year. The students will be distributed among campuses in Lubbock, Amarillo, and the Permian Basin for their third year of medical school and their three years of family medicine residency training. Applications for the F-MAT Class of 2017 and the F-MAT Class of 2018 will be accepted November 1, 2014 through February 1, 2015:
- Students eligible for the F-MAT Class of 2017 are those who are currently completing their first year of medical school in the Texas Tech School of Medicine.
- A portion of the F-MAT Class of 2018 will be selected as part of the regular School of Medicine admissions process, so that some students will begin medical school in August 2015 knowing that they will be part of the F-MAT program. A secondary application should be submitted by those applying for the F-MAT Class of 2018. Remaining members of the Class of 2018 will be selected from among first-year medical students in the fall of 2015.
Acceptance into the F-MAT program is based on merit. Criteria for admission into the program include:
- Expressed interest in a career in primary care/ family medicine, based on information collected during the medical school admissions process and personal statements
- Academic performance in the top 50% of the class, assessed based on performance in faculty-prepared and standardized exams in the first two blocks of Year 1 (for students selected during their first-year of medical school)
- Academic performance prior to medical school (for students selected prior to beginning medical school)
- Interviews with members of the F-MAT faculty
The online application for the F-MAT Class of 2017 will be open from November 1 through midnight on February 1, 2015, accessible HERE,
through eRaider log-in. Students applying for the F-MAT Class of 2018 as part of the regular School of Medicine admissions process may also access the online application through February 1, 2015. Applicants are asked to write 3 short (300-word) essays to answer the following questions:
- What motivates you to participate in the F-MAT program?
- What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program?
- What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties?
The 2014-15 timeline for the F-MAT Class of 2017 application process is as follows:
- November 1, 2014 through midnight February 1, 2015: F-MAT application is open
- February 2-13: Applicant interviews with F-MAT faculty
- February 16 (tentative): F-MAT program acceptance extended
F-MAT students will participate in the National Residency Matching Program during their third and final year of medical school with the understanding that they will rank first the Texas Tech family medicine residency program on the campus where they are currently completing their final year of medical school.
Please contact the following individuals for more information about the Family Medicine Accelerated Track:
Media Requests: Mary Croyle, TTUHSC Director of Communications and Marketing
School of Medicine Curriculum Information: Simon Williams, PhD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
School of Medicine Admissions: Kimberli Peck, MD, Associate Dean for Admissions
Family Medicine Program Information: Betsy Jones, EdD, F-MAT Program Co-Director or Ron Cook, DO., F-MAT Program Co-Director