Training Docs for the Cure
Texas Tech MedCast » Training Docs for the Cure Series
The Training Docs for the Cure provides primary care physicians and their patients
with the latest information about breast cancer screening and treatment and breast
The Texas Tech MedCast Series are available as a subscription or as individual episodes
at no charge from the Apple iTunes Music Store (search Texas Tech or MedCast).
Click on the episode titles below to listen to the episodes.
||Texas Tech School of Medicine Series Podcast Description & Learning Objectives
Screening Once, Screening Twice
This episode outlines what primary care doctors should know to answer their patients'
question about breast cancer screening.
The listener should be able to:
- Explain the epidemiology and risk factors for breast cancer
- Describe the role of risk factors and risk prediction tools to determine screening
modalities, age to begin screening, and subsequent follow-up screening
- List the effectiveness of common diagnostic studies in reducing mortality
- Compare the differences in sensitivity and specificity between diagnostic modalities
in different age groups
- Identify the screening recommendations of various organizations such as the American
Cancer Society, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, the U.S. Preventive Services
Task Force, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the American Geriatrics
Society, and the American Academy of Family Physicians
Emily Fernandez MD (PGY3) and Amanda Backlund MD (PGY1), Family Medicine residents
- Coming soon: Breast Cancer updates for primary care physicians
For more information about the Texas Tech MedCast series
contact Betsy Goebel Jones, EdD, Podcast Producer and Project PI.