Jose Figueroa, MD
Southwest Cancer Treatment and Research Center
Return to Faculty Listing
- Fellowship: University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- Residency: Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Medical School: University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences
- Undergraduate School: University of Puerto Rico
- Regulation of Breast Cancer Cell Growth by the Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins: Use of IGFBP-1 as an Inhibitor of Breast Cancer Cell Growth.”J. Ntl. Cancer Inst.; 84:1336-1341, 1992.
- Expression of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein in Human Breast Cancer Correlates with Estrogen Receptor Status.” J. Cell Biochem.; 52:196-295, 1993.
- Recombinant Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-1 Inhibits IGF-I, Serum, and Estrogen Dependent Growth of MCF-7 Human Breast Cancer Cells. J. Cell Physiol.; 157:229-236, 1993.
- Regulation of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins in Ovarian Carcinoma Cells.” Eur J Cancer; 29A:2015-2019, 1993
- Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-1 Expression Inhibits IGF-I Action in MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells.” Cell Growth Diff.; 5:73-77, 1994.
- Detection of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins (IGFBPs) By Ligand Blotting in Breast Cancer Tissues.”Cancer Letters; 77:25-32, 1994.
- Proliferation of Human Prostate Cancer Cells is Inhibited By Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-1: Evidence For an IGF-II Autocrine Growth Loop.” J Clin Endocrinol Metab; 80:3476-3482. 1995.
- Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-3 (BP-3) mRNA and Protein Are Correlated in Primary Breast Cancer Tissues; Higher Levels Are Detected in Tumors With Poor Prognostic Features.”J Natl Cancer Inst; 88:601-606, 1996
- Corticosteroid Alter Hematopoeisis in Vitro By Enhancing Human Monocyte Secretion of Granulocytic Colony Stimulating Factor.” Experimental Hematol; 25:405-412, 1997.
- Severe Necrosis From Paclitaxel Extravasation. Pharmacotherapy; 17:163-165, 1997.
- Differential Expression of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins in High Versus Low Gleason Score Prostate Cancer.” J Urol; 159:1379-1383, 1998.
- Gene expression of Insulin-like Growth Factor Ligands and Receptors in Human Prostate Cancer Tissues: Correlation With Clinico-Pathologic Parameters.” Cancer Invest 19:28-34, 2001.
- Effect of hemodialysis on topotecan disposition in a patient with severe renal dysfunction. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 47:89-93, 2001.
- A Phase I and pharmocokinetic study of exatecan mesylate administered as a protracted 21-day infusion in patients with advanced solid malignancies. Clin Cancer Res. 9:2527, 2003
- A Phase I/II Study of ISIS 3521, an Antisense Inhibitor of Protein Kinase C Alpha, in Combination with Cisplatin and Gemcitabine in Patients with Advanced Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 10:6086, 2004.
- Phase II Clinical Trial of Paclitaxel Loaded Polymeric Micelle in Patients with Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. Cancer Invest 28:186, 2010
- Improved Survival with Ipilimumab in Patients with Metastatic Melanoma. NEJM 2010 (Participating Investigator).
- The Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins in Human Breast Cancer.” Breast Cancer Res Treat: 22:81-90, 1992
- Prognostic Indicators in Early Breast Cancer AM J Med Sci: 305:176-182, 1993.
- The Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins: Potential Inhibitors of Cancer Cell Growth.” Drugs Fut; 19:477-483, 1994.
- The insulin-like growth factor system in prostate cancer: potential as a novel prognostic indicator and therapeutic target in prostate cancer”. BioMedicina; 1:113-118, 1998.
- Reproductive System: Breast Cancer. In Laboratory Medicine: The Selection of Interpretation of Clinical Laboratory Studies. DA Noe, RC Rock (eds), William and Wilkins, pp 824-827, 1994.
- Expression of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins in Human Breast Cancer Cell Lines and Primary Tumors: Potential Role As Modulators of Insulin-like Growth Factor Action.” Oral presentation, Proc AACR, 3:274 (#1640), 1992.
- Expression of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Proteins in Breast Cancer: Correlation With ER Status.” Oral presentation at the second Annual Symposium on Cancer Research in San Antonio,1992.
- Expression of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein Correlates With Estrogen Receptor Status.” Oral presentation at the 15th International Breast Cancer Symposium in San Antonio. Breast Cancer Res. Treat., 23:184 (#214), 1992.
- Estrogen Regulation of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein Expression in Hormone Dependent Human Cancers.” Proc. Endocrine Soc., p. 324 (#1091), 1992.
- Recombinant Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-1 Inhibits the Growth of Breast Cancer Cells in Vitro.” Poster Presentation, Proc. AACR, 34:246-(#1466), 1993.
- Correlation of IGF Binding Protein Expression With Clinical Parameters of Breast Cancer Prognosis. “4th International Conference on IGFs, Wood Holes, MA, 1993.
- Transfection of Breast Cancer Cells With IGFBP-1 Inhibits Growth Response to IGF-I.” Proc.Endocrine Soc., p. 128 (#309), 1993.
- Expression of IGFBP-1 in MCF-7 Cells Inhibits Their Growth Response to IGF-I and Estradiol.” Presented at the 3rd Annual Symposium on Cancer Research in San Antonio, 1993.
- Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-4 Expression in Breast Cancer Tissues.” 16th International Breast Cancer Symposium in San Antonio, Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 27:185 (#217), 1993.
- IGF-II is an Autocrine Growth Factor in DU145 Human Prostate Cancer Cells.” Poster Presentation, Proc. AACR 35:272 (#1623), 1994.
- Expression of IGF Ligands, Receptors, and Binding Proteins in the Human Prostate Cancer Cell Line DU 145.” Keystone Symposia on Molecular Biology; Breast and Prostate Cancer, March 1994. J Cell Biochem, Suppl 18D:229 (#Y105), 1994
- In Vitro Growth of Human Prostate Cancer Cells in Inhibited By Recombinant IGFBP-1: Evidence for an IGF-II Autocrine Growth Loop.” Oral presentation at the American Radium
Society Annual Meeting in Bermuda, April 22-26, 1994.
- Primary Anaplastic Ki-1 Lymphoma of the Pancreas: Review of the Literature.” Poster presentation, Research Day, Scott & White Clinic and Hospital. May 5, 1995.
- Severe Necrosis From Paclitaxel Extravasation.” Pharmacotherapy, 16:491 (#8), 1996. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Nashville, TN, August 4-7, 1996.
- Expression of Insulin-like Growth Factors Ligands, Receptors and Binding Proteins in Benign and Malignant Prostate Tissues.” Poster Presentation, Proc. AACR, 39:110 (#747), 1998.
- Neoadjuvant Paclitaxel and Carboplatin Followed by Definitive Locoregional Treatment in Stage III Non-small Cell Lung Cancer.” Proc. ASCO, 17:482a (1857), 1998.
- Phase 1 Trial of High Dose Dexamethasone Followed by Tandem High Dose ARAC, Carboplatin and Dexamethasone with Transplantation for Relapsed or Refractory Lymphoma.” Proc. ASCO, 17:95a (#365), 1998.
- Hematopoetic Protective Effects of Corticosteroids in Patients Receiving Carboplatin and Ifosfamide.” Proc. ASCO,17:208a (#801), 1998.
- Phase II Organ Preservation Trial of Combined Neoadjuvant and Concomitant Chemotherapy plus Radiotherapy in Advanced Resectable Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck.” Proc. ASCO, 17:396a (#1527), 1998.
- Absence of Expression of Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.” Proc. ASCO, 17:460a (#1769), 1998.
- Regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein gene expression in the androgen-responsive human prostate cancer cell line LNCaP”. Oral presentation, Research Day, Scott & White Clinic and Hospital, May 1998.
- Expression of insulin-like growth factor receptor-I, IGF binding protein -2 and -3 in non-small cell lung cancer and its correlation with response to therapy”. Poster presentation, Research Day, Scott & White Clinic and Hospital, May 1998.
- Refractory anemia with excess blast in transformation following treatment with samarium in a patient with metastatic prostate cancer”. Poster presentation, Annual Meeting of the Southern Medical Association, New Orleans, 1998.
- Clinical correlation and prognostic significance of insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP) –2 and –3 expression in prostate cancer. Proc ASCO 18:353a (Abst # 1361), 1999.
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and HER-2/neu overexpression in stage IIIA/B NSCLC. Proc ASCO 19:529a 2000.
- Protracted daily administration of temozolomide is feasible: a phase I pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic study. Proc ASCO 19:202a 2000.
- Protracted cyclic administration of temozolomide is feasible: a phase I pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic study. Proc ASCO 19:222a, 2000.
- Feasibility and pharmacokinetic trial of ZD1839 (an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in combination with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Proc ASCO, 20:137a, 2001.
- ZD1839 (Iressa) an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in combination with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Proc AACR-NCI-EORTC International Conference, Page 112, Abst # 549, 2001
- Expression of insulin-like receptor-1 and IGF binding proteins-2 1nd-3 in primary tumors and nodal metastases from stage III NSCLC. Proc AACR 42:357, 2001.
- Phase II evaluation of OSI-774, a potent oral antagonist of the EGFR-TK in patients with advanced ovarian cancer. Proc ASCO, 20:831, 2001.
- Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of the protein kinase c alpha inhibitor ISIS 3521 in combination with cisplatin and gemcitabine in patients with solid malignancies. Proc AACR-NCI-EORTC International Conference, Page 28, Abst # 132, 2001.
- Phase I/II trial of ISIS 3521 antisense inhibitor PKC-alpha with cisplatin and gemcitabine in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Proc ASCO 21: Abst #1233, 2002.
- Dose-finding study of oral temozolomide administered for 14 days together with weekly, fixed-dose paclitaxel in patients with advanced malignancies. Proc ASCO 22: Abst #578, 2003.
- A phase II study of induction therapy with gemcitabine + carboplatin followed by either delayed vs immediate second line therapy with docetaxel in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Proc ASCO 23: Abst #7142, 2005.
- Final results of a phase I study using oral Temozolomide daily for 14 days with weekly paclitaxel in patients with advanced malignancies. Proc ASCO 24: Abst #12020, 2006.
- Phase II study of a novel micellar paclitaxel formulation for treatment of pancreatic cancer. ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium, Abstract #210, 2007.
- Phase II study Multicenter Trial of Genexol®-PM, a Novel Cremophor-Free Polymeric Micell Formulation of Paclitaxel in Patients with Advanced Pancreatic Cancer (APC). ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium, Abstract #269, 2008.
- Phase II Clinical trial of Paclitaxel loaded polymeric micelle (GPM) in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer (APC). Final Results. J Clin Oncol 26:15s, May 20 Suppl;abstr #4627), 2008.
- Phase I pharmacokinetic, dose-escalation study of ENZ2968, a novel hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha (HIFa) antagonist administered weekly in patients with solid tumors. Proc. AACR-NCI-EORTC International Conference, 2008.
- Phase I pharmacokinetic, dose-escalation study of EZN-2968, a novel hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha (HIFa) messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) antagonist in patients with solid tumors. Proc. ASCO, 2010.
- Effect of enzastaurin in patients with colorectal cancer treated with irinotecan plus cetuximab. Submitted: 12th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer. June 30-July 3, 2010.