CARDIOLOGY ROTATION FOR FOURTH YEAR STUDENTS
Location: MICU and General floors
Length: 2-4 Weeks
To meet the objectives in strengthening knowledge, skills, attitude and behavior while
managing patients on cardiology consult service.
The student should demonstrate ability to evaluate and manage patients with the following
Stable coronary syndromes
Congestive heart failure
Understand the pathology, diagnosis and treatment of the conditions being managed
while reading necessary texts and articles simultaneously making evidence based care
The student should become competent in performing and accurately recording complete
history and physical with assessment, differential diagnosis and plan independently.
Should be able to accurately perform and record history and physicals with assessment,
differential diagnosis and plan independently.
Should develop skills to interpret EKGs.
Should learn to interpret exercise/ adenosine/ dobutamine stress testing studies.
Should learn the basics of echocardiography.
Should be able to learn effective communication skills with patients and families
using appropriate language and avoiding jargon and medical terminology.
The student should be:
Able to provide compassionate and empathic patient care in acute and chronic care
Sensitive to the diverse factors affecting patients and their health care beliefs
and needs including race, culture, income and ethnicity.
Develop effective communication skills with the staff including other physicians,
nurses, respiratory therapists and social workers for better patient care delivery.
The student should be able to:
Practice and respect patient privacy and confidentiality while maintaining highest
standards of professionalism.
Discuss ethical issues including end of life care.
EDUCATIONAL METHODS AND RESOURCES
• Adult patient care with above described disease mix aiming at 3-4 patients
• Case presentation during rounds with complete assessment, differential diagnosis
• Maintain patient log seen by the student to assess meeting the above mentioned
• Read core articles in cardiology handbook.
• Presentation and attendance in morning reports and journal clubs.
• Mandatory attendance in noon conferences.
• Dictate/ write discharge and/or transfer summaries.
Review of student’s case presentations, documentation, professionalism and counseling
skills during management rounds and conferences.
End of rotation evaluation forms.
Student satisfaction assessment once every two weeks with appropriate feedback to
assure individual needs are met.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SUPERVISION
The student will be
• Responsible for patient managed by him/her under the guidance of senior
• Responsible for communication with the primary team as well as consultants
• Demonstrating highest standards of professionalism with patients and colleagues.
EVALUATION OF ROTATION
The student should sit with the 4th year director at the end of the rotation to discuss and fill out an evaluation forms
for rotation and faculty.