Jose F. Perez-Zoghbi, PhD
Principal Investigator (since, Jul-2007)
3601 4TH ST., STOP 6551, Lubbock, TX 79430.
Phone: (806) 743 2522, Mobile: (806) 392 6249
PhD. in Biochemistry, Venezuelan Institute for Scientific Research (IVIC), Caracas, Venezuela (2002).
Lic in Biology, Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV), Caracas, Venezuela, (1996).
Regulation of smooth muscle contraction in intrapulmonary airways and arteries.
We are investigating cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating the contraction of smooth muscle in intrapulmonary airways and arterioles. For our research we use 'living' lung slices prepared from animals and several techniques including phase contrast and confocal microscopy, molecular biology, and pharmacology. We have identified several mechanisms and signaling pathways that regulate the contraction and relaxation of airways and arteries during stimulation with endogenous and exogenous agonists. We are exploring changes in these regulatory signals occurring during lung disease. Our studies are important to understand mechanisms of several lung diseases affecting airway and arterial smooth muscle including asthma, COPD and pulmonary hypertension.
1) Regulation of gastric acid secretion in the parietal cell by intracellular Ca2+. For this research we develop a new approach using fluorescence microscopy of isolated gastric glands to measure H+ secretion and Ca2+ signaling simultaneously in parietal cells (Perez, et al, 2001).
2) Intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis during rotavirus infection. During this research we characterized new Ca2+ entry pathways (Ca2+ channel) induced by rotavirus infection in culture cells (Perez, et al, 1999). We also investigate the roles of increased intracellular Ca2+ concentration in the synthesis of viral particles and in the virus-induced cell death (Perez, et al, 1998). For this research we used several biochemical and cell physiology approaches including fluorescence spectrophotometry and microscopy. This research is actively pursued in the laboratory of Dr. Marie Crhistine Ruiz and Dr. Fabian Michelangeli at IVIC.
1. Perez-Zoghbi, J.F. and Sanderson, M.J. (2008). Nitric oxide induces airway smooth muscle cell relaxation by decreasing the frequency of agonist-induced Ca2+ oscillations. In revision, J Gen Physiol
2. Perez-Zoghbi, J.F.; Karner, C.; Ito, S.; Shepherd, M; Alrashdan, Y.; and Sanderson, MJ (2008): Ion channel regulation of intracellular calcium and airway smooth muscle function. Pulm Pharmacol Ther, 21: In press
3. Perez-Zoghbi, J.F.; Mayora, A.; Ruiz, M-C. and Michelangeli, F. (2008): Heterogeneity of acid secretion induced by carbachol and histamine along the gastric gland axis and its relationship to [Ca2+]i. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. Jul 31. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Sanderson, M.J.; Delmotte, P, Bai, Y. and Perez-Zogbhi, J.F. (2007): Regulation of airway SMC contractility by Ca2+ signaling and sensitivity. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 4: 1-9
5. Perez-Zoghbi, JF and Sanderson, M.J. (2007): Endothelin-induced contraction of bronchiole and pulmonary arteriole smooth muscle cells is regulated by intracellular Ca2+ oscillations and Ca2+ sensitization. Am. J. Physiol. Lung. Cell. Mol. Physiol. 293: L1000-L1011
6. Perez, J.F. and Sanderson, M.J. (2005): The contraction of smooth muscle cells of intrapulmonary arterioles is determined by the frequency of Ca2+ oscillations induced by 5-HT and KCl. J Gen Physiol 125: 555-67
7. Perez, J.F. and Sanderson, M.J. (2005): The frequency of calcium oscillations induced by 5-HT, ACH, and KCl determine the contraction of smooth muscle cells of intrapulmonary bronchioles. J Gen Physiol 125: 535-53
8. Perez, J.F.; Ruiz, M.C. and Michelangeli F. (2002): Measurement of intracellular calcium and gastric acid secretion in real time using fluorescent probes. In: Mechanisms and Consequences of Proton Transport. Eds Tetsuro Urushidani, John Forte and George Sachs. Kluwer (Boston), Chapter 31. pp275-278.
9. Perez, J.F.; Ruiz, M-C and Michelangeli, F. (2001): Simultaneous measurement and imaging of intracellular Ca2+ and H+ transport in isolated rabbit gastric glands. J Physiol 537: 735-45
10. Perez, J.F.; Ruiz, M-C; Chemello M-E; Michelangeli, F. (1999): Characterization of a membrane calcium pathway induced by rotavirus infection in culture cells. J Virol 73: 2481-2490.
11. Perez, J. F; Chemello, M.E.; Liprandi F; Ruiz, M-C.; Michelangeli, F. (1998): Oncosis in MA104 cells is induced by rotavirus infection through an increase in intracellular Ca2+ concentration. Virology 252: 17-27.
12. D�Suze, G.; Sevcik, C.; Perez, J. F. and Fox, J.W. (1997): Isolation and Characterization of a potent curarizing polypeptide from Tiyus discrepans scorpion venom. Toxicon 36: 1683-1689.