Expert Skills Program Question Bank
Important Note: All questions in the ESP Question Bank are restricted to students
who are assigned an eRaider (Texas Tech) password.
ESP Step 1 Prep Year 1
Each block in the Year 1 curriculum listed below is linked to a page containing question
sets for use during the ESP Step 1 Prep group sessions.
- A more detailed description of the ESP Step 1 Prep method can be found in the submenu
for either the TTUHSC or the nonTTUHSC versions of the Expert Skills Program.
- Each Step 1 Prep group will need to select their questions for each week.
- In year 1, it is recommended initially to only use six concept type questions or three
case vignette questions; the goal is to only use one hour for review unless the group
chooses to do more.
- The strength of this method is not as much in the time for each session, but the regularity;
there will be a carry-over effect that will increase the productivity of your individual
- During the first year, skills are developed for maximum group effectiveness during
the second year of the program; test scores should also be higher due to improved
- Since weekly topic coverage changes slightly for each year, questions are not organized
by the week in the curriculum but rather by topic.
- Questions are grouped into subtopics to permit efficient selection
- Important: Select questions based on coverage in the answer choices, not in the stem!
- Remember that question coverage in any group session requires that the topics have
been taught recently in the curriculum.
- Questions selected for each session should be eligible topics for the upcoming exam.
This process cannot work on a voluntary basis without fulfilling this criterion.
- All questions in this bank have been screened for relevancy to the Block examinations.
- Relevancy means specifically that the answer choices are all relevant topics that
constitute important knowledge that may be tested in any given year.
(You can help! Please submit questions that you have found that are not listed here and they will
be incorporated for future classes.)
Note: Annotated answers are provided where available. However, remember that active digging
into notes and other resources is part of the process that helps your long-term memory.
Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Biology of Cells and Tissues
Major Organ Systems
ESP Step 1 Prep Year 2
Questions are not supplied for year 2 because at this point students need to develop
a sense of locating their own resources. The stress of adaptation and "getting in
the habit" with group problem solving needs to have as few barriers as possible.
Also, not as many questions are needed for year 2 because all case questions should
be case vignette and should use the side-to-side concept mapping method, at least
- Make an attempt to screen out “fake” USMLE questions.
- Fake questions can still be answered if you can block out the stem, leaving only the
- Another type of fake question cannot be answered if you block out the answer choices;
usually answer choices are very short.
Video description of side-to-side mapping. Univ Nevada - Reno presentation
Suggested sources of questions
Webpath - covers general, system, and CNS pathology (for neuroscience)
(Please suggest sources and they will be listed here. Send to email@example.com)