Department of Surgery
Research Division - Principle Investigators and Current Research
Candy Arentz, MD
- Effect of Vesicare (Solifenacin) on the Estradiol Level in women taking Tamoxifen or Arimidex
- Variations in breast cancer tumor biology and characteristics between Hispanic and White
Joehassin Cordero, MD
- A Prospective Study of Postoperative Stroke Rate in Patients Undergoing Radical and Modified Radical Head and Neck Surgery
- LORHAN - Prospective, Longitudinal, Multi-Center, Descriptive Registry of Patients Receiving Therapy other than Surgical Resection Alone for Newly Diagnosed Head and Neck Carcinoma [Head and Neck Carcinoma Registry] Neck surgery facts: A retrospective study for different procedures
- Neck surgery facts: A retrospective study for different procedures
Sharmila Dissanaike, MD
- Proposal for a system of monitoring hand washing compliance using radiofrequency identification method (RFID), Pilot Study
- Variations in breast cancer tumor biology and characteristics between Hispanic and White women
- Retrospective review of positive margins rates after breast conservation surgery
- Variables associated with poor outcome in inhalation injury
- Study of hernia rates from hand port assisted operations
- Necrotising soft tissue infections: a retrospective review
- To determine if CT scan imaging modality imaging is appropraite to identify all clinically significant traumatic cervical spine injuries
- Has the Radiation Exposure of Patients Presenting with Soft Tissue Infections Increased Over Time?
- A descriptive study of burn patients who suffered industrial oilfield accidents, with case-control comparison with a matched cohort
- The use of virtual reality in occupational therapy exercises in burn patients. Collaboration with the UMC occupational therapy department. Currently recruiting subjects.
- Incidence of complications associated with percutaneous tracheostomy. Project includes Diana Vega PGYIV, Mark Markarian PGYV, Judy Garcia MSII, Alan Coleman PGYII, and Carey Watson MSIV. Presented at the North Texas Chapter of the American College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons. Submitted for publication.
- Co-Investigator, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) grant, Access to Breast Care for West Texas (ABC 4 WT) 2010 – 2013 Co-Investigator, National Institutes of Health NIH R 21 award # CA133597-1A1 The utility of Abi proteins as a biomarker for breast cancer metastasis, 2009 – 2011
- Co-Investigator, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul Foster School of Medicine seed grant: Characterization of breast cancers from Hispanic and non-Hispanic White patients, 2009 – 2010
- Review of outcomes of patients with breast cancer in the South West Cancer Center Tumor Registry
- Outcomes of elderly burn patients
- Variations in anxiety levels among women referred to a breast specialist clinic
John Griswold, MD
- Lonza/Griswold/Burn Study-Pending SQV
- Comparison of standard quantitative cultures with molecular diagnostic techniques for the treatment of severe burn wound infections
- The Disseminating Organizational Screening and Brief Intervention Services (DO-SBIS)Trial
- Analyzing the antimicrobial resistance profile of bacterial isolates obtained from severely burned patients.
- The pattern of plasma NT-proBNP levels following a burn and the possible use of this information for predicting the occurence of a cardiovascular event or other poor outcome.
- A Comparative Study of the ReCell® Device and Autologous Split-thickness Meshed Skin Graft in the Treatment of Acute Burn Injuries
- Enterra Therapy: An emerging treatment option for drug-refractory gastroparesis
- 99E02-A Phase 2 Study of Recombinant Human Thrombin (rh Thrombin) Administered Using a Spray Applicator in Subjects Undergoing Autologous Skin Grafting Following Burn or Traumatic Skin Injury.
- ACCESS: A Controlled Comparison of Eritoran Tetrasodium and Placebo in Patients with Severe Sepsis
- A Phase III, Multi-center, Randomized, Evaluation Committee-blinded Study to Assess the Efficacy of Topical Administration of Omiganan 1.0% Gel in Preventing Local Catheter Site Infections and Catheter Colonization in Patients undergoing Central Venous Catheterization.
- A Study To Evaluate The Safety And Efficacy Of Fibrin Sealant With 4IU/ML Thrombin Vapor Heated, Solvent/Detergent Treated (FS 4IU VH S/D) To Adhere Tissues And Improve Wound Healing
- Burn Treatment Outcomes: A retrospective study for different protocols.
- Relationship of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa virulence factors to clinical outcome of wound infection.
- Functional outcome of 80 and 90 year old burn patients.
- Trauma Team Activation from the Field
- Radiology-Trauma Study
- Use of Integra/biologic skin substitute on massive gastroschisis in neonates
- Use of selenium coating of wounded dressings as an antimicrobial antibiofilm prevention treatment strategy
- Developing Protocols for Interdisciplinary Communication through Simulation>/li>
- Optimizing the Communication Skills of Interprofessional Healthcare Teams during Patient Handoffs, to Reduce Medical Errors
Ari Halldorsson, MD
- Demographical review of oil field injuries seen at one Texas Level 1 Trauma Center
- Aggressive Surgical Intervention as the Initial Treatment: The Texas Tech Experience
- Evaluation of a new surgical technique for inguinal hernia repair.
- Use of Intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) for treatment of septic shock.
John Marchbanks, MD
- Examining the effectiveness of selenium-coated tympanostomy tubes in preventing the development of biofilms by obtaining bacterial isolates from children with Otis Media Aggressive
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Grant
Tam Nguyen, MD
- Fall dynamics and prevention using both accelerometer and gyroscope sensors.
- Electro-Cochleagraphy in portable headset sensors: a pilot study.
Kendra Rumbaugh, PhD
- Rates of antibiotic resistance in normal and diabetic wounds chart review
- Investigation of B cell repertoire in patients with Pseudomonas Aeruginosa infection
- Polymicrobial wound biofilm infections
- Interspecies and interkingdom chemical signaling
- Pre-clinical efficacy studies of experimental antimicrobials
Dixon Santana, MD
- SAGES and ACS (Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Educational Program). 2008-2010.
- Ethicon BioSurgery.
- STEP Program - Use of endoscopy in surgical education
- A Randomized, Single Blind Trial to Assess the Effectiveness of Maintaining Patency and Safety of the Vascular Wrap Paclitaxel-Eluting Mesh After Surgical Implantation with the Lifespan ePTFE Vascular Graft in the Upper Extremity for Hemodialysis Vascular Access
Jan Simoni, Ph.D.
- Blood substitutes
- Effects and characteristics of acellular hemoglobin
- Role of NF-kappa B, oxidized lipoproteins, endothelins, 8-isoprostanes eicosaniods and nitric oxide in aspects of trauma and sepsis
- Effects of bradykinin on expression of adhesion molecules and propagation of inflammatory reactions in human micro-vascular endothilial cells