Department of Surgery
Residency Program - Curriculum
The Educational Conferences
All residents are required to attend all of the listed conferences without exception. Repeated absenteeism could affect the resident's advancement and promotion. The required educational conferences for all of the residents include the following:
- Patient Care Conference (Check Out Conference) (every morning at 0715)
- ICU Team Conference (for SICU & BICU residents) (every Tuesday 1200 - 1300)
- Grand Rounds (every Friday 0800 - 0900)
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference (every Friday 0900 - 1000)
- ABSITE Preparation Question and Answer Conference (every Friday 1000 - 1100)
- Core Curriculum/Basic Science & Clinical Review (every Friday 1100 - 1200)
- Multidisciplinary Oncology Conference (every Friday 0700 - 0800).
- Journal Club (every 2nd Tuesday at 1800).
- Technical Skills Practice Laboratory
- Vascular Conference monthly
The Basic Science and Clinical Lecture Series is held every Friday between 1100 - 1200. Each lecture is given by an attending surgeon or a professional with expertise on the subject matter. Each lecture will cover the topic from basic science and clinical points of view. Although each lecture is independent, the relevant chapters on the subject in Sabiston's Textbook of Surgery and O'Leary The Physiologic Basis of Surgery will be cited with each subject matter so the residents can adequately prepare for the lecture. All major topics within general surgery will be covered over a period of one academic year.
For a complete listing of the current lecture schedule please view the Resident Education Program section of the Resident Education Manual.
The Booklet of Information – Surgery is published by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) to outline the requirements for certification in surgery. Applicants are expected to be familiar with these requirements and bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that their training complies with ABS requirements, as well as for acting in accordance with the ABS policies governing each stage of the certification process.