Department of Surgery
Residency Program - Education Mission
Overall Goals and Objectives
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
General Surgery Residency Program
Our mission is to assure that at the completion of their five year training, our graduates
are equipped with the knowledge, experience, and technical skills to succeed professionally,
whether they choose academic or private practice, with or without further fellowship
training. Our graduates will be expected to have the maturity, interpersonal skills
and ethical standards to become respected and productive members of the surgical profession.
- The resident will demonstrate Patient Care that is compassionate, appropriate and effective.
- The resident will consistently obtain accurate and pertinent history and perform thorough
- The resident will order and interpret appropriate diagnostic tests.
- The resident will develop appropriate differential diagnosis.
- The resident will be able to develop and implement patient management plan with urgency
consistent with the patient’s presentation.
- The resident will demonstrate good time management skills and multitasking capabilities.
- The resident will consistently demonstrate technical skills and intraoperative decision
making consistent with level of training.
- The resident will provide care that is sensitive to cultural, social and economic
- The resident will acquire sufficient Medical Knowledge (basic science, clinical, social and behavioral) and demonstrate the ability to actively
use this knowledge to solve medical problems within the field of general surgery.
- The resident consistently demonstrates adequate knowledge based on objective standardized
tests (“book knowledge”).
- The resident consistently demonstrates the ability to apply knowledge to patient care
- The resident will demonstrate proficiency in accessing the most recent and appropriate
- The resident will be able to evaluate the medical literature for the purpose of providing
the best patient care based on the most recent medical knowledge (evidence based medical
- The resident will consistently develop a congenial therapeutic relationship with patients
and their families. He/she will be able to use appropriate Interpersonal and Communication Skills to relate to patients, their families, and other health care professionals, and function
effectively as a team member or leader.
- The resident will consistently demonstrate sensitivity and empathy with patients and
- The resident communicates and works effectively with superiors, peers and other medical
- The resident is able to function well as a leader or a member of a health provider
- The resident demonstrates the ability to efficiently discuss a clinical case scenario
to another health care provider.
- The resident demonstrates the ability to present medically oriented subjects to a
larger audience in a formal setting.
- The residents will exhibit Professionalism as manifested by integrity, honesty, and adherence to ethical principles. They will
demonstrate sensitivity to their patients and act in their best interest regardless
of ethnicity, age, or disability.
- The resident is consistently reliable and conscientious with patient care duties and
adheres to ethical principles in dealing with patients and families.
- The resident consistently demonstrates respect, compassion and integrity in relationships
with other health care providers.
- The resident is aware of personal strength and limitations, and is willing to improve.
- The resident assumes responsibility and accountability for any patient care issues.
- The resident is always a patient advocate first and foremost, regardless of the patient’s
age, gender, ethnicity or diasability.
- The resident strives to use every possible opportunity to teach and encourage professional
growth of other health care providers.
- The resident will learn to scientifically and honestly analyze their own patient care,
and carry out needed adjustments (Practice-Based Learning and Improvement). They will become proficient in assimilating and critically appraising the scientific
medical literature. They will facilitate learning of other health care providers.
- The resident demonstrates reading, both independent and required.
- The resident uses appropriate information technology to assess and manage medical
- The resident attends conferences and other educational activities regularly.
- The resident identifies problem areas in own medical practice and implements improvements.
- The resident will ask appropriate questions and use feed back to improve.
- The resident demonstrates an awareness of, and responsiveness to, the larger context
and system of health care (System Based Practice). They can effectively call on system resources to provide cost effective quality
of care. They will work with health care management and interdisciplinary teams to
improve patient care.
- The resident utilizes multidisciplinary team approach in patient care.
- The resident adheres to clinical guidelines when available and appropriate.
- The resident implements cost effective diagnosis and treatment.
- The resident actively participates in committees and other administrative activities
within the health care system.