Traditional BSN Undergraduate Program
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
All applicants will be reviewed in an individual and holistic manner. No single factor will determine a student's admission. Although academic criteria (cumulative GPA, grades earned in science courses, and failed/repeated courses) are important factors in admission consideration, additional non-academic information is also important.
Applications not meeting the minimum admission requirements will not be reviewed.
For more information about required TEAS scores, click here.
In compliance with TTUHSC policy, all applicants who have received offers of admission will be required to consent to a criminal background check before being allowed to matriculate. A history of criminal conduct or convictions may result in withdrawal of the admission offer. See the “Criminal Background Checks” section of the SON Student Handbook for the SON policy. The Health Sciences Center policy may be found at HSC OP 10.20. No student will be allowed to matriculate into the program without completing and receiving clearance from the Texas Board of Nursing with either a BON Blue Card or a Declaratory Order with No Stipulations. The cost for a criminal background check(s) is the responsibility of the student.
|Admission Requirements Effective Spring 2016
|Academic Admission Criteria
||Non-Academic Admission Considerations
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 All grades earned at all schools attended are calculated in the admission grade point average.
- All non-nursing course prerequisites must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to enrollment. At the time of application submission, applicants must have completed a minimum of 40 credit hours of the required non-nursing pre-requisite courses, including at least three of the four required sciences.
- At the time of application submission, applicants must have either completed all 57 of the required non-nursing prerequisites or have completed at least 40 of the required non-nursing prerequisites with proof of enrollment of the remaining prerequisites. At the time of application submission, applicants must have completed at least three of the five required lab science classes which include Chemistry with Lab (4 hours), Human Anatomy I (4 hours), Physiology II (4 hours), and/or Microbiology with lab (4 hours).
- Completion of the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) V (or most current) examination with a minimal proficiency level in all the following areas: Reading, Math, Science, English and Language usage. Exam must be taken no more than one year prior to application submission; scores that are older than 1 year will not be accepted.
- Grades earned in science core courses – Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Microbiology, and Pathophysiology are required to have a minimum GPA of 2.75. Consideration is given for repetition of science courses.
- Letter of academic good standing if prior enrollment in nursing program.
- Prior enrollment at TTU.
- Permanent resident of TTUHSC service area.
- First generation college student.
- Volunteer enrichment/Community Activities.
- Current healthcare work experience.
- Military service and/or training.
- Based upon fulfillment of all application eligibility requirements as outlined in the School of Nursing Catalog and posted on the BSN website, a determination will be made on an offer of an interview.
- Performance in a face to face interview upon invitation.
TEAS Test V (Test of Essential Academic Skills)
The TEAS measures basic essential skills in the academic content areas for Reading, Mathematics, Science and English and Language Usage. The objectives assessed on the TEAS exams are those which nurse educators deemed most appropriate and relevant to measure entry-level academic readiness of nursing program applicants.
Completion of the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) V exam with a minimal proficiency level in all the following areas: Reading, Math, Science and English & Language Usage
For information on testing locations and availability to schedule an exam, you may do one of the following:
- Visit the ATI website at ATItesting.com
- Contact ATI at (800) 667-7531
- Perform an internet search for "TEAS test sites"
Applicants in the Lubbock area may contact the TTU Academic Testing Center on the Texas Tech Campus, to schedule an exam time.
Exam must be taken no more than one year prior to application submission; scores that are older than 1 year will not be accepted.
Creating an account
- All individuals preparing to take the TEAS test must first create an ATI account to do so, visit atitesting.com and click "Create an Account" (follow the screen prompts). You will only need to register once, and you will use the same account throughout your nursing program. You'll need your ATI username and password to take an online test, or your ATI paper/pencil ID to take a paper/pencil test. Please take this information with you to the testing location when you go to take the TEAS test.
- When searching for your institution, it will show as: Tx Tech U Traditional
- For more information about required TEAS scores, Click Here