||Kaushik Shah received his B.S. (2002) from the University of Pune and M.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology (2003) From the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. After graduating he began working as a Senior Research Fellow for the Agharkar Research Institute. He joined Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences as a Ph.D. student with the Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences in the fall of 2007. He works in Dr. Thomas Abbruscato's lab.
M.S. Pharmacy, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (2003)
B.S. Pharmacy Science, University of Pune (2002)
Kaushik is interested elucidation of molecular mechanisms and identification of novel drug targets for degenerative diseases. He is currently working in the field of Stroke.
Prior to Admission:
- Ravinder K. Kaundal, Kaushik K. Shah, Shyam S. Sharma. Neuroprotective effects of NU1025, a PARP inhibitor in cerebral ischemia are mediated through reduction in NAD depletion and DNA fragmentation. Life Sciences 2006 Nov 10;79(24):2293-302. Epub 2006 Aug 2.
- Sarang Gorte, Mahesh Burande, Mahesh Ghaisas, Anupama Suralkar, Sohan Chitlange, Santosh Bhujbal, Kaushik Shah. Preclinical evaluation of a novel poly-herbal formulation for its anti-inflammatory activity. Planta Indica 2(2006) 5-7.
- Yang L, Wang H, Shah K, Karamyan VT, Abbruscato TJ. Opioid receptor agonists reduce brain edema in stroke. Brain Res. 2011 Apr 6;1383:307-16. Epub 2011 Jan 31.
- Yang L, Shah K, Wang H, Karamyan VT, Abbruscato TJ. Characterization of Neuroprotective Effects of Biphalin, an Opioid Receptor Agonist, in a Model of Focal Brain Ischemia. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011 Aug 19. Epub ahead of print]
- Kaushik K. Shah, Li Yang, Thomas J. Abbruscato. In Vitro Models of Blood Brain Barrier. Methods in Molecular Biology 2012;814:431-49. Book Chapter
- Li Yang, Kaushik K. Shah, Thomas J. Abbruscato. An In Vitro model of Ischemic Stroke. Methods in Molecular Biology 2012;814:451-66. Book Chapter
- Kaushik Shah, Shyam Sharma, C L Kaul. Effect of Poly (ADP-Ribose) Polymerase inhibitor on H2O2 and Peroxynitrite induced cell death in PC12 cell line. Indian Pharmacological Society 2003, Delhi, India.
- K. K. Shah, L. Yang, T. J. Abbruscato. Effect of High Glucose on Sodium Dependent Glucose Cotransporter (SGLT1) at the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) in Stroke. AAPS, Los Angeles, CA. 11/09
- K.K.Shah, L. Yang, T. J. Abbruscato. Sodium Dependent Glucose Cotransporter (SGLT1) Expression at the Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB) in Hyperglycemic Conditions and Stroke. TTUHSC Student Research Week, Lubbock. 3/2010.
- Shah, K., Goda, S., Koval, A., Smith, Q., Abbrucato, T. Increased Sodium/Glucose Co-Transporter (SGLT1) Function at the Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB) in Diabetes. 42nd Annual American Society for Neurochemistry Meeting, St. Louis, MO. 3/11
- Kaushik Shah, Li Yang, Satyanarayana Goda, Quentin R. Smith and Thomas J. Abbruscato. Function of Sodium/Glucose co-transporter (SGLT1) at the Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB): Diabetes and Stroke. Tenth Annual Research Days, Amarillo. 6/11
- Shah KK, DeSilva S, Abbruscato TJ. “Glucose transporters at the blood brain barrier in diabetes”. Student Research Week 2012, Lubbock. 3/12
Kaushik Shah and Thomas Abbruscato. Function of Sodium Dependent Glucose Transporter (SGLT1) at the Blood Brain Barrier in the Diabetes. Annual GSBS TTU Student Recruitment Event, Lubbock. 1/17/12
- Shah KK, Abbruscato TJ. "Characterization of Glucose Transporters at the Blood Brain Barrier in Diabetes and Stroke". Gordon Research Conference, New London, NH. 6/12
- "Characterization of Blood Brain Barrier Permeability Changes in Time and Space during Ischemia/Reperfusion injury" 8/25/08
- "Effect of High Glucose on Glucose Transporters At Blood Brain Barrier" 10/28/09
- "Effect of High Glucose on Glucose Transport Across the Blood Brain Barrier" 10/6/10
- "Function of sodium dependent glucose co-transporter (SGLT1) at the blood-brain barrier (BBB): Diabetes" 9/7/11
- CH Foundation Scholarship, TTUHSC. 2009
- Young Investigator's Education Enhancement (YIEE) travel award. 42nd annual American Society for Neurochemistry, St. Louis, Mo. 3/19-23/11
- Participated as Resource Person on “Health Hazard Assessment with main emphasis on Toxicodynamics and Toxicokinetics, and various guidelines for Toxicity testing of various chemicals” in ARPET Network Training Programme on Health and Environmental Toxicity Assessment organized by Agharkar research Institute, Pune, India and coordinated by Asian Institute of Technology, Thialand, and sponsored by Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA).