Faculty & Staff Details
|Position:||Research Associate Professor|
|Bio||Dr. Jiang joined the TTUHSC SOP in 2011 as a research associate professor. She received her M.D. in 1986 from Beijing Medical University (now Peking University Health Science Center) and her MS in 1989 from the Institute for Space Medical Engineering, Beijing, China (PRC). She received training in molecular and cellular biology in 1990-1991 at Cornell University. She was a research associate (1992-1995) and senior research associate (1995-2002) at the AMC Cancer Research Center in Denver, Colorado under the supervision of Professor Henry Thompson, a well-known expert in chemoprevention of mammary carcinogenesis. From 2002-2011, Dr. Jiang worked as a senior research associate at the Hormel Institute University of Minnesota with Professor Junxuan Lu whose research is focused on prostate and mammary carcinogenesis and chemoprevention.|
Dr. Jiang’s research interest is in developing an integrated breast cancer chemoprevention program from bench discovery to bedside translation. She has authored 50 full-length publications, many of which deal with identification of herbal chemicals targeting sex hormone signaling related to breast and prostate cancer. She has profound bilateral hearing loss and prefers to communicate via e-mail.
1. Zhang J, Li L, Jiang C, Xing C, Kim SH, Lu J. Anti-cancer and other bioactivities of Korean Angelica gigas Nakai (AGN) and its major pyranocoumarin compounds. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2012 Dec; 12(10):1239-54.
2. Zhang Y, Jiang P, Ye M, Kim SH, Jiang C (co-corresponding author), Lu J. Tanshinones: sources, pharmacokinetics and anti-cancer activities. Int J Mol Sci. 2012 Oct 22; 13(10):13621-66.
3. Zhang Y, Won SH, Jiang C (co-first author), Lee HJ, Jeong SJ, Lee EO, Zhang J, Ye M, Kim SH, Lü J. Tanshinones from Chinese Medicinal Herb Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge) suppress prostate cancer growth and androgen receptor signaling. Pharm Res. 2012 Jun; 29 (6):1595-608.
4. Zhang Y, Shaik AA, Xing C, Chai Y, Li L, Zhang J, Zhang W, Kim SH, Lü J, Jiang C. A synthetic decursin analog with increased in vivo stability suppresses androgen receptor signaling in vitro and in vivo. Invest New Drugs. 2012 Oct; 30(5):1820-9.
5. Dong Y, Yin S, Li J, Jiang C, Ye M, Hu H. Bufadienolide compounds sensitize human breast cancer cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis via inhibition of STAT3/Mcl-1 pathway. Apoptosis. 2011 Apr; 16(4):394-403.
6. Wang Z, Lee HJ, Chai Y, Hu H, Wang L, Zhang Y, Jiang C, Lü J. Persistent p21Cip1 induction mediates G(1) cell cycle arrest by methylseleninic acid in DU145 prostate cancer cells. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2010 May; 10(3):307-18.
7. Wang Z, Lee HJ, Wang L, Jiang C, Baek NI, Kim SH and Lü J. Anti-androgen receptor signaling and prostate cancer inhibitory effects of sucrose- and benzophenone-compounds. Pharm Res. 2009. May; 26(5):1140-8.
8. Jiang W, Jiang C, Pei H, Wang L, Zhang J, Hu H, Lü J. In vivo molecular mediators of cancer growth suppression and apoptosis by selenium in mammary and prostate models: lack of involvement of gadd genes. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Mar; 8(3):682-91.
9. Lü J, Hu H, Jiang C. Regulation of signaling pathways by selenium in cancer. Invited book chapter: Dietary Modulation of Cell Signaling Pathways, Edited by Surh YJ, Packer L, Dong Z, Cadenas E. CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group). Chapter 11, pp274-314, 2008.
10. Hu H, Lee HJ, Jiang C, Zhang J, Wang L, Zhao Y, Xiang Q, Lee EO, Kim SH, Lü J. Penta-O-galloyl-beta-D-glucose induces p53 and inhibits STAT3 in prostate cancer cells in vitro and suppresses prostate xenograft tumor growth in vivo. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008 Sep; 7(9):2681-91.
11. Wang Z, Hu H, Li G, Lee HJ, Jiang C, Kim SH, Lü J. Methylseleninic acid inhibits microvascular endothelial G(1) cell cycle progression and decreases tumor microvessel density. Int J Cancer. 2008 Jan 1; 122(1):15-24.
12. Lü J, Kim SH, Jiang C, Lee HJ, Guo J. Oriental herbs as a source of novel anti-androgen and prostate cancer chemopreventive agents. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2007 Sep; 28(9):1365-72. Review.
13. Jiang C, Guo J, Wang Z, Xiao B, Lee HJ, Lee EO, Kim SH, Lü J. Decursin and decursinol angelate inhibit estrogen-stimulated and estrogen-independent growth and survival of breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res. 2007; 9(6):R77.
14. Li GX, Hu H, Jiang C, Schuster T, Lu J. Differential involvement of reactive oxygen species in apoptosis induced by two classes of selenium compounds in human prostate cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2007 May 1; 120(9):2034-43.
15. Guo J, Jiang C (co-first authors), Wang Z, Malewicz B, Lee HJ, Hu H, Baek NI, Kang KS, Kim SH, Lu J. A novel class of pyranocoumarin anti-androgen receptor signaling compounds. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007 Mar; 6(3):907-17.
16. Lee HJ, Lee EO, Rhee YH, Ahn KS, Li GX, Jiang C, Lü J, Kim SH. An oriental herbal cocktail, ka-mi-kae-kyuk-tang, exerts anti-cancer activities by targeting angiogenesis, apoptosis and metastasis. Carcinogenesis. 2006 Dec; 27(12):2455-63.
17. Malewicz B, Wang Z, Jiang C, Guo J, Cleary MP, Grande JP, Lu J. Enhancement of mammary carcinogenesis in two rodent models by silymarin dietary supplements. Carcinogenesis. 2006 Sep; 27(9):1739-47.
18. Hu H, Jiang C, Schuster T, Li GX, Daniel PT, Lu J. Inorganic selenium sensitizes prostate cancer cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis through superoxide/p53/Bax-mediated activation of mitochondrial pathway. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006 Jul; 5(7):1873-82.
19. Jiang C, Lee HJ, Li GX, Guo J, Malewicz B, Zhao Y, Lee EO, Lee HJ, Lee JH, Kim MS, Kim SH, Lu J. Potent antiandrogen and androgen receptor activities of an Angelica gigas-containing herbal formulation: identification of decursin as a novel and active compound with implications for prevention and treatment of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2006 Jan 1; 66 (1):453-63.
20. Lu J, Jiang C. Selenium and cancer chemoprevention: hypotheses integrating the actions of selenoproteins and selenium metabolites in epithelial and non-epithelial target cells. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005 Nov-Dec; 7(11-12): 1715-27. Invited review.
21. Cho SD, Li G, Hu H, Jiang C, Kang KS, Lee YS, Kim SH, Lu J. Involvement of c-Jun N-terminal kinase in G2/M arrest and caspase-mediated apoptosis induced by sulforaphane in DU145 prostate cancer cells. Nutr Cancer 2005; 52(2):213-24.
22. Hu H, Jiang C, Li G, Lu J. PKB/AKT and ERK regulation of caspase-mediated apoptosis by methylseleninic acid in LNCaP prostate cancer cells. Carcinogenesis 2005 Aug; 26(8):1374-81.
23. Hu H, Jiang C, Ip C, Rustum YM, Lu J. Methylseleninic acid potentiates apoptosis induced by chemotherapeutic drugs in androgen-independent prostate cancer cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Mar 15; 11(6):2379-88.
24. Jiang C, Kim KH, Wang Z, Lu J. Methyl selenium-induced vascular endothelial apoptosis is executed by caspases and principally mediated by p38 MAPK pathway. Nutr Cancer 2004; 49(2):174-83.
25. Jiang C, Hu H, Malewicz B, Wang Z, Lu J. Selenite-induced p53 Ser-15 phosphorylation and caspase-mediated apoptosis in LNCaP human prostate cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2004 Jul; 3 (7): 877-84.
26. Cho SD, Jiang C, Malewicz B, Dong Y, Young CY, Kang KS, Lee YS, Ip C, Lu J. Methyl selenium metabolites decrease prostate-specific antigen expression by inducing protein degradation and suppressing androgen-stimulated transcription. Mol Cancer Ther. 2004 May; 3(5): 605-11.
27. Hong CC, Thompson HJ, Jiang C, Hammond GL, Tritchler D, Yaffe M, Boyd NF. Association between the T27C polymorphism in the cytochrome P450 c17alpha (CYP17) gene and risk factors for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004 Dec; 88(3):217-30.
28. Hong CC, Thompson HJ, Jiang C, Hammond GL, Tritchler D, Yaffe M, Boyd NF. Val158Met Polymorphism in catechol-O-methyltransferase gene associated with risk factors for breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Sep; 12(9):838-47.
29. Jiang C, Wang Z, Ganther H, Lu J. Distinct effects of methylselenic acid vs. selenite on apoptosis, cell cycle and protein kinase pathways in DU145 prostate cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 1:1059-1066, 2002.
30. Wang Z. Jiang C, Lu J. Induction of caspase-mediated apoptosis and cell-cycle G1 arrest by selenium metabolite methylselenol. Mol Carcinog. 2002. 34: 113-120.
31. Medina D, Kittrell FS, Shepard A, Stephens LC, Jiang C, Lu J, Allred DC, McCarthy M, Ullrich RL. Biological and genetic properties of the p53 null preneoplastic mammary epithelium. FASEB J. 2002 Jun; 16(8):881-3.
32. Jiang C, Wang Z, Ganther H, Lu, J. Caspases as key executors of methyl selenium induced apoptosis (anoikis) of DU-145 human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 61:3062-3070, 2001.
33. Lu J, Jiang C. Anti-angiogenic activity of selenium in cancer chemoprevention: Metabolite-specific effects. Nutrition and Cancer 40: 64-73, 2001. Invited review.
34. Wang Z, Jiang C, Ganther H, Lu J. Antimitogenic and proapoptotic activities of methylseleninic acid in vascular endothelial cells and associated effects on PI3K-AKT, ERK, JNK and p38MAPK signaling. Cancer Res. 61: 7171-7178, 2001.
35. Jiang C, Ganther H, Lu J. Monomethyl selenium-specific inhibition of MMP-2 and VEGF expression: Implications for angiogenic switch regulation. Mol Carcinog. 29: 236-250, 2000 (cover story).
36. Jiang C, Agarwal R, Lu J. Anti-angiogenic potential of a cancer chemopreventive flavonoid antioxidant, silymarin: inhibition of key attributes of vascular endothelial cells and angiogenic cytokine secretion by cancer epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 276, 371-378, 2000.
37. Jiang C, Jiang W, Ip C, Ganther H, Lu J. Selenium-induced inhibition of angiogenesis in mammary cancer at chemopreventive levels of intake. Mol Carcinog. 26:213-225, 1999 (cover story).
38. Lu J, Jiang C, Mitrenga T, Cutter G, Thompson HJ. Pathogenetic characterization of 1-methyl-1-nitrosourea-induced mammary carcinomas in the rat. Carcinogenesis 19: 223-227, 1998.
39. Thompson HJ, Jiang C, Lu J, Piazza G, Ahnen D, Mehta R. Sulfone metabolite of sulindac inhibits mammary carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 57: 267-271, 1997.
40. Varon D, Jiang C (co-first authors), Hedican C, Dome JS, Umbricht CB, Carey LA, Thompson HJ, Sukumar S. Telomerase activity in normal and neoplastic rat mammary gland. Cancer Res. 57:5605-5609, 1997.
41. Jiang C, Luo L, Said TK, Thompson HJ, Medina D. Immortalized mouse mammary cells in vivo do not exhibit increased telomerase activity. Carcinogenesis 18:2085-2091, 1997.
42. Ip C, Jiang C, Thompson HJ, Scimeca JA. Retention of conjugated linoleic acid in the mammary gland is associated with tumor inhibition during the post-initiation phase of carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 18:755-759, 1997
43. Lu J, Kaeck M, Jiang C, Garcia G, Thompson HJ. A filter elution assay for the simultaneous detection of DNA double and single strand breaks. Anal. Biochem. 235: 227-233, 1996.
44. Lu J, Jiang C, Kaeck M, Ganther H, Ip C, Thompson HJ. Cellular and metabolic effects of triphenylselenonium chloride in a mammary cell culture. Carcinogenesis 16:513-517, 1995.
45. Lu J, Jiang C, Fontaine S, Thompson HJ. ras may mediate mammary cancer promotion by high fat. Nutr Cancer 23:283-290, 1995.
46. Lu J, Jiang C, Kaeck M, Ganther H, Vadhanavikit S, Ip C, Thompson HJ. Dissociation of the genotoxic and growth inhibitory effects of selenium. Biochem. Pharmacol. 252:7392-7394, 1995.
47. Lu J, Lee WK, Jiang C, Keller, E. B. Start site selection by Sp1 in the TATA-less Ha-ras promoter. J. Biol. Chem. 269:5391-5402, 1994.
48. Lu J, Kaeck M, Jiang C, Wilson AC, Thompson HJ. Selenite induction of DNA strand breaks and apoptosis in mouse leukemic L1210 cells. Biochem. Pharmacol. 47:1531-1534, 1994.
49. Thompson HJ, Wilson AC, Lu J, Singh M, Jiang C, Upadhyaha P, El-Bayoumy K, Ip C. Comparision of the effects of an organic and an inorganic form of selenium on a mammary carcinoma cell line. Carcinogenesis 15:183-186, 1994.
50. Lu J, Jiang C. Inhibition kinetics of chloramphenicol acetyl transferase by detergents. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 196:12-17, 1993
51. Jiang C, Lu J, Garcia G, Thompson HJ. Spontaneous nucleosomal DNA fragmentation in murine leukemic L1210 cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commmun. 194:836-841, 1993.
52. Lu J, Jiang C. Detergents inhibit chloramphenicol acetyl transferase. Biotechniques 11:643-644, 1992.