Faculty & Staff Details
|Name:||Brian Irons, Pharm.D., FCCP,BCACP,BC|
|Position:||Associate Professor, Head, Ambulatory Care Division, Lubbock|
|Bio||Dr. Irons has been with the School since 1999 and is an Associate Professor specializing in Ambulatory Care on the Lubbock Campus. Dr. Irons is Head of the Ambulatory Care Division within the Department of Pharmacy Practice mentoring fellow division members on all four of our campuses in their teaching, practice, scholarship, and service responsibilities. He is a past Director of the SOPs PGY2 Ambulatory Care Residency in Lubbock and a preceptor for the PGY1 and 2 residents on that campus. He has various teaching responsibilities in didactic lectures, case-based learning, and our experiential program. He is a past Team Leader for the Endocrinology Pharmacotherapy, Case Studies courses and for the Ambulatory Care Clinical Skills Clerkship. He received his BS and PharmD from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. He completed a Pharmacy Practice Residency at United Hospital in St. Paul, MN and an Ambulatory / Managed Care Residency with the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy. Dr. Irons is a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist, a board certified ambulatory care pharmacist, and is board certified in advanced diabetes management.|
Doctor of Pharmacy University of Wisconsin – Madison 1997
Bachelor of Science (Pharmacy) University of Wisconsin – Madison 1997
Bachelor of Science (Biology) University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point 1987
Texas Registered Pharmacist (37936) 1998 - Present
Minnesota Registered Pharmacist (116525-8) 1998 - Present
Wisconsin Registered Pharmacist (12674) 1997 - Present
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist 2000 – Present
Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist 2011-Present
Board Certified Advanced Diabetes Management 2007-Present
Elected Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy 2011
TTUHSC – School of Pharmacy Lubbock Faculty Preceptor of the Year 2011
TTUHSC – School of Pharmacy 2008 Teaching Team of the Year for the P2 Class:
Endocrinology Pharmacotherapy: Shane Greene, Brian Irons, Carlos Alvarez, Majid
Moridani, Kalkunte Srivenugopal
Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists 2005-2006 Lourdes M. Cuellar “Star of
Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists 2005 Lewis S. Smith Pharmacy Practitioner Award
TTUHSC – School of Pharmacy P3 Preceptor of the Year (Lubbock) 2005
Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists 2003 Innovative Collaborative Practice Award:
Managed Health Care Pharmacy Services Texas Tech School of Pharmacy: Member of MHCPS Team from 7/98-6/01.
TTUHSC – School of Pharmacy P3 Preceptor of the Year (Lubbock) 2002
TTUHSC – School of Pharmacy Teaching Team of the Year 2001 for the P3 Class:
Neurosensory Pharmacotherapy: David Allen, Carlos Fernandez, Craig Cox, Brian Irons, James Stoll, Christopher Herndon (Local Award)
Dr. Irons’ clinical practice involves direct patient care in the out-patient setting working with physicians and other health care professionals performing collaborative drug therapy management in a variety of disease states including hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, anticoagulation, and heart failure.
Dr. Irons serves on the Diabetes Panel of the Editorial Board for the Annals of Pharmacotherapy and is also on the Editorial Board of the journals Therapy, Clinical Practice, and Case Reports in Endocrinology. Dr. Irons is currently serving as Secretary of the ACCP Ambulatory Care PRN. He has served as the Chair (2008-2009), Chair-Elect / Educational Programming Chair (2007-2008), and Secretary/Treasurer (2006-2007) of the ACCP Endocrine and Metabolism PRN. Dr. Irons has also served for seven years on the Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists (TSHP) Board of Directors in numerous capacities including TSHP Secretary (2006-2008) and Co-Chair of the TSHP Educational Affairs Council for two years. He is a past-president of the Lubbock Area Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
Dr. Irons’ primary areas of research interest are in diabetes management and the documentation of clinical pharmacy services in the Primary Care setting.
1. Irons, B, Meyerrose G, Laguardia S, Hazel K, Seifert C. A collaborative cardiologist-pharmacist care model to improve hypertension management in patients with or at high risk for cardiovascular disease. Pharmacy Practice 2012;10(1):25-32.
2. Crowder R, Irons B, Meyerrose G, Seifert C. Factors Associated with Increased Hospital Utilization in Patients with Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction. Pharmacotherapy 2010;30(7):646-53.
3. Irons B, Seifert C, Flemming B, Wesson D. Evaluation of Diabetes Primary Care and Effects on Health Care Charges in Elderly Diabetics. American Journal of the Medical Sciences 2008;335(6):426-30.
4. Irons B, Seifert C, Horton N. Quality of Care of a Pharmacist-Managed Diabetes Service Compared to Usual Care in an Indigent Clinic. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics 2008:10(3):220-26.
5. Chwan-Li S, Feng D, Esperat C, Irons B, Ming C, Valdez G, Thompson E. Effect of Tai Chi Exercise on Type 2 Diabetes: A Feasibility Study. Integrative Medicine Insights 2007;2:15-23.
6. Sutkin G, Grant B, Irons B, Borders T. Opinions of West Texas Pharmacists About Emergency Contraception. Pharmacy Practice 2006;4(4):151-5.
7. Edwards K, Irons B, Xu K. Cost-Effectiveness of Intermediate or Long-Acting Insulin versus Exenatide in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients Not Optimally Controlled on Dual Oral Diabetes Medications. Pharmacy Practice 2006;4(3):129-33.
8. Snella K, Canales A, Irons B, Sleeper-Irons R, Villarreal M, Levi-Derrick V, Greene S, Jolly J, Nelson A. Efficacy of a Pharmacy-Based and Community-Based Screening Program on the Detection of Undiagnosed Hyperglycemia and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in African-American, Hispanics, and Elderly. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association 2006;46:370-7.
9. Mazzolini T, Irons B, Schell E, Seifert C. Lipid Levels and Use of Lipid-Lowering Drugs for Patients in Pharmacist-Managed Lipid Clinics Versus Usual Care in 2 VA Medical Centers. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy 2005;11(9):763-71.
10. Xu KT, Irons BK. Communications of drug affordability between physicians and elderly patients. Journal of Pharmacy Technology 2003;19:271-7.
11. Irons B, Lenz R, Anderson S, Wharton B, Habeger B and Anderson H. A Retrospective Cohort Analysis of the Clinical Effectiveness of a Physician-Pharmacist Collaborative Drug Therapy Management Diabetes Clinic. Pharmacotherapy 2002;22(10):1294-1300.
12. Leung S, Irons B, Robinson J. Polyanionic Hydrogel as a Gastric Retentive System. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition 1993; 4(5):483-92.
13. Dowty M, Knuth K, Irons B et al. Transport of Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone in Rabbit Buccal Mucosa in vitro. Pharmaceutical Research 1992; 9(9):1113-22.
Critical Reviews / Case Reports / Opinion Papers
14. Edwards K, Stapleton M, Weis J, Irons B. An update in incretin-based therapy: A focus on glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonists. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics 2012 (Accepted/In-press)
15. Irons B, Weis J, Stapleton M, Edwards K. An update in incretin-based therapy: A focus on dipeptidyl peptidase - 4 inhibitors. Current Diabetes Reviews 2012;8:169-182.
16. Irons B. Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus as a Cardiovascular Risk Equivalent or Risk Factor and Implications in Drug Therapy Management. Diabetes Manage 2011;1(6):615-626. [Editor Invited]
17. Minze M, Dalal K, Irons B. Removing Barriers to Insulin Use. J Fam Practice. 2011;60:577-580.
18. MacLaughlin E, Haase M, Irons B, McCall K, Sleeper R, Patry R, Raehl C. Assessing an Academic Pharmacy Position: Guidelines for Evaluating an Institution and Roles for New Faculty. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2009;1:1 7-24.
19. Irons B. Research Highlights: Highlights from the Latest Articles in Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease. Therapy 2009; 6(4): 469-473. (Editor Invited Update in Recent Research)
20. Edwards K, Alvarez C, Irons B. Third Line Agent Selection for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Uncontrolled on Sulfonylurea and Metformin Therapy: A Review of the Literature. Pharmacotherapy 2008;28(4):506-21.
21. Valdez G, Dadich K, Boswell C, Cannon S, Irons B, Vickers P, Esperat C. Planning and Implementing an Interdisciplinary Diabetes Workshop for Healthcare Professionals. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 2007;38(5):232-37.
22. Irons B, Vickers P, Esperat C, Valdez G, Dadich K, Boswell C, Cannon S. Diabetes Education for Health Care Professionals: The Need for a Community Diabetes Education Curriculum. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 2007;38(5):227-31.
23. Irons B, Greene S, Mazzolini T, Edwards K, Sleeper R. Implications of Rosiglitazone and Pioglitazone on Cardiovascular Risk in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Pharmacotherapy 2006;26(2):168-181.
24. Irons B, Kroon L. Lipid Management with Statins in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2005;39(10):1714-8. [Editor Invited Recent Update]
25. Mazzolini T, Irons B, Seifert C. Assessment of the Level of Care in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in an Outpatient Indigent Clinic. Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists Journal 2005;6(1):7-14.
26. Irons B. Early, Aggressive Lipid Management in the Treatment of Acute Coronary Syndromes. Therapy. 2004;1(2): 213-16. [Editor Invited Key Paper Evaluation]
27. Irons B, Tsikouris J, Thomas A. The Use of Angiotensin Receptor Blockers in the Treatment of Chronic Heart Failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology. 2004;44(6):718-24.
28. Irons B, Mazzolini T, Greene R. Delaying the Onset of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Patients with Prediabetes. Pharmacotherapy 2004;24(3):362-71.
29. Irons B, Johnson H. The ALLHAT Study: Controversy in the Recommendations of Diuretics as First-line Therapy in Hypertension. Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists Journal 2004;4(3):8-10.
30. Irons B, Kumar A. Valsartan-Induced Angioedema. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2003;37(7):1024-7.
31. Irons B, Snella K, McCall K, MacLaughlin E, and Villarreal M. Update on the Management of Dyslipidemia. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacists 2002;59:1615-25.
• Irons B. Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders. In: Dugan J, El-Ibiary S, Foote, E, et al. Updates in Therapeutics: The Pharmacotherapy Preparatory and Recertification Course, 2012 ed. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2012:1-281-1-324.
• Irons B. Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders. In: Dugan J, El-Ibiary S, Foote, E, et al. Updates in Therapeutics: The Pharmacotherapy Preparatory and Recertification Course, 2011 ed. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2011:219-268.
• Irons B. Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders. In: Bressler L, De Young G, El-Ibiary S, et al. Updates in Therapeutics: The Pharmacotherapy Preparatory Course, 2010 ed. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2010:1-97 – 1-132.
• Parker T and Irons B. Diabetes in Children and Adolescents. In: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, ed. Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program. 6th ed., Book 11. Kansas City, MO: American College of Clinical Pharmacy; 2009: Chronic Illnesses, pp. 1-20.
• Irons B and Robinson J. Bioadhesives in Drug Delivery. In Handbook of Adhesives Technology. Mittal K and Pizzi A eds. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1994