Faculty & Staff Details
|Name:||Steven Pass, Pharm.D., FCCM, FCCP, BC|
|Position:||Associate Professor, Adult Medicine Division, Dallas VA|
|Bio||Steven Pass, PharmD, FCCM, BCPS is an Associate Professor in the Division of Adult Medicine, Department of Pharmacy Practice at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy. He is also an Advanced Practice Pharmacist in the Medical ICU at the North Texas Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He received his BS Pharm and PharmD from the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, and completed a PGY-1 residency at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis Tennessee, and a PGY-2 Critical Care Residency at University Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio. Research interests include ventilator associated pneumonia and sepsis.|
• June 1998: ASHP Accredited Critical Care Pharmacy Practice Residency, The University Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio
• June 1997: ASHP Accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency, Baptist Memorial Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee
• May 1996: Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, Lexington, Kentucky
• August 1995: Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, Lexington, Kentucky
• December 1992 : Bachelor of Science (Biology), University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
• Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider
Honors and awards
• Elected Chair, Critical Care PRN, American College of Clinical Pharmacy 2009
• Elected Chair, Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology Section of the Society of Critical Care Medicine 2007
• Fellow, American College of Critical Care Medicine 2005
• Presidential Citation, Society of Critical Care Medicine 2003,2004, 2005, 2006, 2009
• Faculty Preceptor of the Year, UHCOP 2009
• Rho Chi Teaching Excellence Award, UHCOP 2008
• Phi Lambda Sigma Faculty Leadership Award, 2007
• Masud F, Bostan F, Chi E, Pass SE, Samir H, Steubing K, Liebl MG. Recombinant Factor VIIa (rFVIIa) Treatment of Severe Bleeding in Cardiac Surgery Patients: A retrospective analysis of dosing, efficacy, and safety outcomes. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2009;23(1):28-33.
• Kuper KM, Coyle EA, Garey KW, Ikwuagwu JO, Maclayton DO, Mohr JF, Musick WL, Pass SE, Rios E, Tam VH, Yeh RF. Significant Papers in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy in 2007:
Insights from the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists. SIDP Newsletter 2008;18(1):8-11. and American Journal of Health-System Pharmacists 2008;65:e72-9.
• Pass SE. Toxicology, Bioterrorism, and Emergency Preparedness. Chapter in Velasquez E (ed): Critical Care / Transplantation. Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program (PSAP), 5th Edition. Kansas City, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2006.
• Pass SE, Dusing ML. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents. Bonk ME (ed): UHC drug monograph. Chicago, University HealthSystem Consortium, 2005.
• Pass SE. Antihyperglycemics during the perioperative period. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacists 2005;62:467.
• Pass SE, Young EJ, Gearhart MM. Short Course Antimicrobial Therapy for Ventilator Associated Pneumonia. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2005;18:18-24.
• Pass SE, Simpson RW. Discontinuation and reinstitution of medications in the perioperative period. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacists 2004;61:899-914.
• Pass SE, Dusing ML. Agents for Pulmonary Hypertension. Bonk ME (ed): UHC drug monograph. Chicago, University HealthSystem Consortium, 2003.
• Papadopoulos J, Rebuck JA, Lober C, Pass SE, Seidl EC, Shah RA, Sherman DS. The Critical Care Pharmacist: An Essential Intensive Care Practitioner. Pharmacotherapy 2002;22:1484-88.
• Pass SE, Dusing ML. Current and Emerging Therapies for Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2002;36:1414-23.
• Pass SE, Miyagawa CI, Healy DP, Ivey TD. Continuous Infusion of Cefuroxime for Post-Surgical Prophylaxis in Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Patients. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2001;35:409-13.
• Miyagawa CI, Pass SE: Sedation and Paralysis of the Mechanically Ventilated Patient. Chapter in McIntyre NR, Branson RD (eds): Mechanical Ventilation. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Company, 2000.
• Moore LJ, Fitousis K, Turner KL, Todd SR, Sucher JF, Hall J, Pass S, Moore FA. Evaluation of empiric antibiotic use in surgical sepsis. 62nd Annual Meeting of The Southwestern Surgical Congress, Tucson, Arizona; March 2010.
• Prazak AM, Pass SE. Venous thromboembolism risk assessment and prophylaxis in a surgical intensive care unit. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky; October 2008.
• Pass SE. The University of Houston College of Pharmacy Certificate Program in Academia. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting and Seminars, Chicago, Illinois; July 2008.
• Prazak AM, Pass SE. Utility of the initial Gram-stain from a protected Mini-BAL in guiding empiric therapy for ventilator-associated pneumonia. Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas; April 2008.
• Polder BL, Pass SE. Retrospective analysis of the diagnosis and treatment of pneumonia
in the surgical intensive care unit (SICU). American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada; December 2007.
• Liebl M, Masud F, Bostan F, Chi E, Pass S, Samir H, Stuebing K. Recombinant factor VIIa (RF7a) treatment of severe bleeding in cardiac surgery patients: A retrospective analysis of dosing, and efficacy and safety outcomes. 27th International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, Brussels, Belgium; March 2007.
• Garcia J, Pass SE. The Utilization of Hydrocortisone in Patients with Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock. American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim, California; December 2006.
• Young EJ, Pass SE. Retrospective surveillance of antimicrobial usage for the treatment of pneumonia in a medical intensive care unit. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Spring Practice and Research Forum; Monterrey, California; April 2006.
• Ernst NE, Pass SE, Greenstein L. Use of the Multiple Disease Risk Assessment Database© to Identify Patients at Risk for Fungal Infections in a Surgical Intensive Care Unit. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting; Dallas, Texas; October 2004.
• Sherman MK, Pass SE, Dusing ML. Evaluation of Medication Use and Safety of Nesiritide (Natrecor?). University HealthSystem Consortium Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana; December 2003.
• Pass SE, Scott A, Johannigman JA. Outcomes Associated with Positive Bronchoalveolar Lavage (BAL) Cultures for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in a Surgical Intensive Care Unit. 32nd Critical Care Congress of the Society of Critical Care Medicine; San Antonio, Texas; January 2003
• Parbhoo SK, Gearhart MM, Dusing ML, Pass SE, Campbell RS, Johannigman JA, Solomkin JS. Prospective Evaluation of a Diagnostic and Treatment Protocol for Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia (VAP) in Surgical Intensive Care Unit Patients. 32nd Critical Care Congress of the Society of Critical Care Medicine; San Antonio, Texas; January 2003.
• Reuter JP, Kirby J, Pass SE, Dusing ML. Amiodarone Compliance with the 2000 ACLS Guidelines. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting; Albuquerque, New Mexico; October 2002.
• Campbell RS, Gearhart MM, Johannigman JA, Luchette FA, Miller SL, Pass SE, Davis KD, Solomkin JS. Use of the Gram Stain from Non-Brochoscopic Protected Bronchoalveolar Lavage to Guide Empiric Antibiotic Therapy for Suspected Ventilator Associated Pneumonia. Fifteenth Scientific Assembly of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma; Orlando, Florida; January 2002.
• Stuntebeck E, Lutomski D, Johannigman J, Pass S, Gearhart M. Controlled-Release Morphine Versus Controlled-Release Oxycodone in Trauma Patients. American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana; December 2001.
• Ezidinma NP, Miyagawa CI, Pass SE. Evaluating Antimicrobial Utilization for the Treatment of Pneumonia in Intensive Care Patients at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting, Orlando, Florida; December 1999.
• Patel NP, Miyagawa CI, Pass SE, Ivey MF, Bohenek W. The provision of pharmaceutical care to ICU patients in a tertiary care center by a Critical Care Pharmaceutical Care Team. American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada; December 1998 and Orlando, Florida; December 1999.
• Brown M, Newman P, Trowbridge J, Rose B, Pass S, Feger A, Guo H, Olson J, Soltis E. Eflornithine (DFMO) Treatment and Vascular Polyamines in Established Hypertension in the DOCA-Salt Rat. FASEB J.; 7:A548, 1993.