Drug Information Center – Forum
Volume 1, Issue 1
Thursday, September 21, 2000
- David Wofford
- Zachary House
- Phillip Blake
- Carlos Alvaraz
- Naaman Garza
- Michelle Morris
- New drug approvals
- New drug indications
- Drug recalls
- Primary literature review
- This issue's review article
Depakote ER – 08-04-00
- Divalproex sodium- extended release tablet.
- Approved for prophylaxis of migraine headaches in adults
- Manufactured by Abbott laboratories.
Concerta – 08-01-00
- Methylphenidate sodium-extended release tablet
- Approved for treatment of attention deficit disorder
- Manufactured by Alza Corporation
Children's Motrin Cold – 08-01-00
- Ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine HCl-oral suspension
- Approved for temporary relief of nasal and sinus congestion, minor aches and pains, fever, stuffy nose, headache and sore throat.
- Manufactured by McNeil Consumer Healthcare
Fluoxetine – 08-01-00
- First drug approved for PMS
- Indications : depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, bulimia. Recently approved for treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Manufactured by Eli Lilly & Company
Cortef Oral Suspension
- Class II
- Pharmacia Corporation
- May not be effective for the treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Estratab 2.5mg tablet
- Class III
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- Tablets did not meet friability specification
- Class III
- Anabolic Laboratories, Inc.
- Lack of complete manufacturing process validation
"Implementation of technology is necessary to improve the safety of medications. Use of radio frequency handheld devices, computerized order entry systems and bar coded medications coupled with an active QI program to assess medication safety is required to manage medication safety. As new technology and progress are implemented to St. Peter's Hospital, the Medication Safety Team as well as the other components of the MUE program will assess new issues as they arise and implement corrective measures."
Thomas P. Lombardi, Pharm.D, FASHP Medscape Pharmacists, 2000
If you would like to read this article visit Medscape.com and select the Specialty Spotlight under pharmacists. Registration is required but free of charge.
AM .J. Health-Systems Pharm. 2000; 57: 1403-20
Shord and Lindley present an excellent review of coagulation products including indications, pharmacokinetics, and therapeutic guidelines. A review of coagulation is presented and available coagulation products are discussed. Click on the hyper-linked title above for the complete article.
H. Glenn Anderson, Jr Pharm.D.
Ann L. McIlvain Pharm.D
Texas Tech University HSC
School of Pharmacy
Drug Information Center