External Grants & Contracts
All SOP researchers must first receive TTUHSC approval prior to submitting all requests
for outside funding to any external entity. The steps to follow are below:
- For all grant proposals involving projects that will require the use of any of the
major equipment listed on the equipment use fee table , you must include designated usage fees in your budget request. (Please see http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/research/equipmentupkeep.aspx for additional information.)
- Contact the SOP Office of the Associate Dean for Research (Amarillo) to create a record of your project and for assistance throughout all stages of your
submission. The Office will also require final copies of all submitted materials.
- ALL grants and contracts must be approved by the TTUHSC Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) in Lubbock at least five full working days prior to the due/postmark date of a proposal/application/other
solicitation for support/funding, whether for instruction, unrestricted educational
grants, public service, research, etc. Any exception to the five-day deadline must
be pre-approved via project director with a valid justification for tardiness to the
Associate Vice President for Research and authorized signatory authority for the University. NOTE: This five day deadline
is an OSP requirement. If you need additional time to ensure that your grant reaches
its destination by deadline, please factor in that additional time on top of the five
days. Depending upon which type of grant/contract you are submitting, the contact
person at the OSP varies. The SOP Office of the Associate Dean for Research (Amarillo) can assist you in identifying the appropriate person, or consult the OSP (Lubbock) website for additional contact information.
- Depending upon which type of grant/contract you are submitting, the contact person
at the OSP varies. The SOP Office of the Associate Dean for Research (Amarillo) can assist you in identifying the appropriate person, or consult the OSP (Lubbock) website for additional contact information.
- All submissions to the OSP must be accompanied by a signed routing sheet . This is to be completed by the investigator, who is responsible for completing
the necessary forms for grant submission (including the routing sheet), as well as
signing in the appropriate places. (NOTE: Any light-colored paper will work. The Office
of Sponsored Programs no longer requires the routing sheet to be printed on goldenrod-colored
paper, which was a previous requirement. The routing sheet does, however, need to
be printed on colored paper, and lighter colors work best, since these sheets are
often faxed between offices.)
- Dr. Thekkumkara, Associate Dean for Research, SOP , can provide the required Associate Dean's signature on the routing sheet.
- If you are not on the Amarillo Campus, the SOP Office of the Associate Dean for Research (Amarillo) will obtain the Associate Dean's and Chair's signatures for all grants and contracts,
routing sheets, and any other research-related documents for which signatures are
required, as quickly as possible. Typically, it takes 24-48 hours to obtain signatures.
- Specific instructions for the routing sheet are below:
- First, complete and print the routing sheet onto colored paper. Sign the sheet as
the PI and obtain any other required signatures that are available at your site.
Fax the signed, original routing sheet to (806) 356-4643 (or email the scanned file
to a Research Office staff person).
- Send your signed hard-copy original routing sheet to the OSP office in Lubbock .
- The Research Office staff will copy the routing sheet with your site's signature(s)
onto a colored paper before obtaining the required Chair and Associate Dean's signatures.
After these signatures are obtained, the Office will send this second original routing
sheet (with Amarillo signatures) to the OSP.
- The OSP will combine the two routing sheets with original signatures to process your
- In addition to the routing sheet, please also submit to the SOP Office of Research and the OSP the following required elements (if they apply to your project; some may not be a
part of your submission):
- the face page
- an abstract
- budget justification
- detailed budget page (even on modular grants* and including any appropriate equipment
usage fees – please see number 1 above)
- other support
- the checklist
* Please note: Even if the granting agency does not require a budget when submitting
(e.g. NIH does not require budgets when applying for modular grants), the OSP will
still need to see a budget and will verify that the amounts in the budget match those
given on the face page and checklist page.
- Even if the OSP does not require ALL of your grant materials, the Office of Research does need to receive a final version of ALL submitted documents, for record-keeping
purposes. Please either email the documents or send them via regular (or campus)
- After the OSP has reviewed/approved your project, they will send all of the materials back to you,
and you are responsible for sending the final submission to the granting entity.
- Please note that negotiation of contracts may require the OSP to directly contact either the investigator or the company; however, this will not
be done without the permission of the investigator.