Office of Sponsored Programs
Semiannual Inspection of Animal Use Laboratories Checklist
In compliance with federal regulations (OLAW/NIH and USDA), all laboratories in which LIVE animals are present at any time will be inspected by the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (TTUHSC's IACUC). These inspections will be conducted on a semiannual basis.
- Safety Services Certification posted in Lab
- Whistleblower Poster Displayed in Lab (access via iRIS)
PROTOCOL AND PERSONNEL
- The PI or knowledgeable technician is present during the inspection and has accurate knowledge of the protocol.
- Current copies of the approved protocol, amendments and annual reports are available in the laboratory.
- Laboratory personnel are listed in the protocol.
- A record of each surgery is recorded in the PI’s animal use records.
- Surgical procedures are performed in an approved area.
- The area where the surgery is conducted is clean and organized.
- Sterile gloves and instruments are utilized and stored appropriately.
- The animals are aseptically prepped.
- Cold sterilization procedures are appropriate (alcohol is not an appropriate cold sterilization agent).
Dates and times of the semiannual laboratory inspections will be announced prior to the inspection. It is important that the principal investigator, if possible, be present during the inspection. If the principal investigator cannot be present, a knowledgeable research technician working on the project must be present.