Student Health Services
Mental Health Task Force
Kyle Clark, Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance, and Dr. Ron Cook, Interim Braddock Chair - Department of Family & Community Medicine, have appointed a Mental Health Task Force to identify priority problem issues and to establish an appropriate process to address these issues on the Texas Tech University campus. The committee will be meeting regularly during November and December and will prepare an interim report on progress in resolving mental health issues on the Texas Tech campus during January 2005.
- Did You Know?
- Substance abuse often masks mental health needs and contributes to academic failure.
- Students have approximately a 50-50 chance of having some symptoms of depressions during their college years.
- Dr. Richard Kadison, Chief of Mental Health Services at Harvard University, visited the TTU campus on August 25, 2004 to assist university faculty and staff in effectively addressing mental health concerns on our campus.
- Approximately one-third of college students (nationally) are taking an antidepressant.
- Covenant Hospital has inpatient mental health services and an active assessment team.
- University Medical Center does not have inpatient mental health services, but does have an active crisis assessment team.