Student Health Services
Strategic Plan : 2010
Student Health Services promotes each student success.
Student Health Services will be recognized by students and parents as an exemplary
provider of comprehensive, cost-effective, and compassionate medical care and health
education to students.
- Mutual respect and high ethical standards;
- Cooperation and communication;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Community service and leadership;
- Pursuit of excellence;
- Public accountability; and
Department Learning Outcome 1: EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
Writes and speaks coherently and effectively; Writes and speaks after reflection;
Able to influence others through writing, speaking or artistic expression; Effectively
articulates abstract ideas; Uses appropriate syntax; Makes presentations or gives
Department Learning Outcome 2: HEALTHY BEHAVIOR
Chooses behaviors and environments that promote health and reduce risk; Articulates
the relationship between health and wellness and accomplishing life-long goals; Exhibits
behaviors that advance a healthy community.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY: INVEST IN THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS TECH
Goal 1: Access and Diversity: Recruit, retain and graduate a larger, more academically prepared
and more diverse student body.
- Increase annually the number of patients served in correlation with increases in university
- Achieve a 4 or better rating in patient satisfaction in all areas measured.
- Increase percentage of students who are covered by health insurance by 5% annually.
Objective 1.1: Effectively utilize available provider hours.
- Conduct a non-user survey annually.
- Conduct 10% of total enrollment through health education/public relations activities
- Provide marketing targeted to specific health and wellness issues.
Objective 1.2: Provide excellent customer service to each patient.
- Develop infrastructure necessary for implementation of insurance billing in Fall 2011.
- Implement on-line administration of American College Health Association patient satisfaction
surveys to gain real-time information and benchmark with other university student
Objective 1.3: Offer comprehensive, cost-appropriate student health insurance.
- Negotiate appropriate benefits for student population at lowest possible cost with
dependable, customer-service focused vendor.
- Increase student input in student health insurance committee activity.
Objective 1.4: Focus on provision of culturally-competent patient care and customer service.
- Increase amount of information specific to international students on the Student Health
Services web site.
- Participate in orientation process of incoming international students.
- Assist international students with immunization requirement compliance.
- Conduct small group tours of Student Wellness Center facility and explanation of clinic
process for incoming international students.
Goal 2: Human Resources and Infrastructure: Increase and use resources to recruit
and retain quality staff and to support an optimal work environment.
- Achieve 90% or better in all quality improvement/quality assurance assessments of
compliance with accreditation standards and patient safety goals.
Objective 2.1: Improve quality of patient care and employee/patient safety through compliance with
accreditation standards and patient safety goals.
- Conduct regular audits of compliance with accreditation standards and safety goals
and utilize audit results to guide performance improvement efforts in areas audited.
- Provide staff education in a compliance focus-area monthly.
Objective 2.2: Increase efficiency and cost-effectiveness of patient care through the use of secure
messaging and online scheduling.
- Plan for incremental implementation of online scheduling and secure messaging working
within financial limitations.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY: ENRICH THE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
Goal 3: Undergraduate Teaching and Learning: Enhance the undergraduate, graduate and
professional student learning experience by implementing nationally recognized standards
in all departments, facilities, programs and services.
- Effectiveness in verbal communication of health information in presentations delivered
by Impact Tech peer health educators.
Objective 3.1: Develop and deliver training and development program for Impact Tech peer health
educators based on best practices in health education.
- Frequently assess peer educator's individual knowledge and progress throughout the
- Work with each peer educator to identify needs and develop plan for improvement.
Goal 4: Graduate and Professional Education: Enhance graduate and professional education
- Student Health Services will not report on Goal 4.
Goal 5: Engagement: Provide scholarly outreach opportunities that contribute to student
learning and benefit our local and campus communities.
- Achieve completion of AlcoholEdu® course by 95% of incoming first-year students.
- Plan for expansion of delivery of AlcoholEdu® to all students entering Texas Tech,
including transfer students, in Fall and Spring semesters
- Implement six (6) clinic-based patient education activities each academic year.
- Participation by 10% of total enrollment in health education activities.
Objective 5.1: Increase the number of students reached by relevant, timely health education programs
based on best-practice guidelines.
- Utilize Texas Tech-specific survey and clinical information to determine most relevant
health and wellness issues to address.
- Draw upon best practices and evaluations of previous activities to plan, market and
implement health education activities.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY: STRENGTHEN PARTNERSHIPS
Goal 6: Partnership: Build strategic partnerships and alliances with the local and
campus community including K-12, community colleges and universities.
- Increase number of partners to collaborate in delivery of patient care, educational
programming and collection of data on the health behaviors of students.
Objective 6.1: Increase efforts to identify and include partners in activities of Student Health
- Identify and invite potential new partners for new and existing health education and
patient care initiatives.
- Identify and invite potential new partners for management of NCHA data collected in
Click the files below to view the Student Health Services Strategic Plan in PDF or
|Student Health Services Strategic Plan: