Student Health Services
Strategic Plan : 2010
Student Health Services promotes each student success.
Student Health Services will be recognized by students and parents as an exemplary provider of comprehensive, cost-effective, and compassionate medical care and health education to students.
- Mutual respect and high ethical standards;
- Cooperation and communication;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Community service and leadership;
- Pursuit of excellence;
- Public accountability; and
Department Learning Outcome 1: EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
Writes and speaks coherently and effectively; Writes and speaks after reflection; Able to influence others through writing, speaking or artistic expression; Effectively articulates abstract ideas; Uses appropriate syntax; Makes presentations or gives performances.
Department Learning Outcome 2: HEALTHY BEHAVIOR
Chooses behaviors and environments that promote health and reduce risk; Articulates the relationship between health and wellness and accomplishing life-long goals; Exhibits behaviors that advance a healthy community.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY: INVEST IN THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS TECH
Goal 1: Access and Diversity: Recruit, retain and graduate a larger, more academically prepared and more diverse student body.Benchmarks:
- Increase annually the number of patients served in correlation with increases in university enrollment.
- Achieve a 4 or better rating in patient satisfaction in all areas measured.
- Increase percentage of students who are covered by health insurance by 5% annually.
Objective 1.1: Effectively utilize available provider hours.Strategies:
- Conduct a non-user survey annually.
- Conduct 10% of total enrollment through health education/public relations activities annually.
- Provide marketing targeted to specific health and wellness issues.
Objective 1.2: Provide excellent customer service to each patient.Strategies:
- Develop infrastructure necessary for implementation of insurance billing in Fall 2011.
- Implement on-line administration of American College Health Association patient satisfaction surveys to gain real-time information and benchmark with other university student health centers.
Objective 1.3: Offer comprehensive, cost-appropriate student health insurance.Strategies:
- Negotiate appropriate benefits for student population at lowest possible cost with dependable, customer-service focused vendor.
- Increase student input in student health insurance committee activity.
Objective 1.4: Focus on provision of culturally-competent patient care and customer service.Strategies:
- Increase amount of information specific to international students on the Student Health Services web site.
- Participate in orientation process of incoming international students.
- Assist international students with immunization requirement compliance.
- Conduct small group tours of Student Wellness Center facility and explanation of clinic process for incoming international students.
Goal 2: Human Resources and Infrastructure: Increase and use resources to recruit and retain quality staff and to support an optimal work environment.Benchmarks:
- Achieve 90% or better in all quality improvement/quality assurance assessments of compliance with accreditation standards and patient safety goals.
Objective 2.1: Improve quality of patient care and employee/patient safety through compliance with accreditation standards and patient safety goals.Strategies:
- Conduct regular audits of compliance with accreditation standards and safety goals and utilize audit results to guide performance improvement efforts in areas audited.
- Provide staff education in a compliance focus-area monthly.
Objective 2.2: Increase efficiency and cost-effectiveness of patient care through the use of secure messaging and online scheduling.Strategy:
- Plan for incremental implementation of online scheduling and secure messaging working within financial limitations.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY: ENRICH THE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
Goal 3: Undergraduate Teaching and Learning: Enhance the undergraduate, graduate and professional student learning experience by implementing nationally recognized standards in all departments, facilities, programs and services.Benchmark:
- Effectiveness in verbal communication of health information in presentations delivered by Impact Tech peer health educators.
Objective 3.1: Develop and deliver training and development program for Impact Tech peer health educators based on best practices in health education.Strategies:
- Frequently assess peer educator's individual knowledge and progress throughout the training program.
- Work with each peer educator to identify needs and develop plan for improvement.
Goal 4: Graduate and Professional Education: Enhance graduate and professional education opportunities.
- Student Health Services will not report on Goal 4.
Goal 5: Engagement: Provide scholarly outreach opportunities that contribute to student learning and benefit our local and campus communities.Benchmarks:
- Achieve completion of AlcoholEdu® course by 95% of incoming first-year students.
- Plan for expansion of delivery of AlcoholEdu® to all students entering Texas Tech, including transfer students, in Fall and Spring semesters
- Implement six (6) clinic-based patient education activities each academic year.
- Participation by 10% of total enrollment in health education activities.
Objective 5.1: Increase the number of students reached by relevant, timely health education programs based on best-practice guidelines.Strategies:
- Utilize Texas Tech-specific survey and clinical information to determine most relevant health and wellness issues to address.
- Draw upon best practices and evaluations of previous activities to plan, market and implement health education activities.
STRATEGIC PRIORITY: STRENGTHEN PARTNERSHIPS
Goal 6: Partnership: Build strategic partnerships and alliances with the local and campus community including K-12, community colleges and universities.Benchmark:
- Increase number of partners to collaborate in delivery of patient care, educational programming and collection of data on the health behaviors of students.
Objective 6.1: Increase efforts to identify and include partners in activities of Student Health Services.Strategies:
- Identify and invite potential new partners for new and existing health education and patient care initiatives.
- Identify and invite potential new partners for management of NCHA data collected in Spring 2008.
Click the files below to view the Student Health Services Strategic Plan in PDF or DOC formats
|Acrobat Reader||Microsoft Word|
|Student Health Services Strategic Plan:||DOC|