Public Health Degree - Admissions
Prerequisites for Admission
See the Graduate School website for a complete list of admission requirements.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- The applicant must provide transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Official GRE Scores required for international applicants. The GRE is not required for domestic applicants.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, which must be from former faculty or administrators who are familiar with the scholastic abilities of the applicant. In the case of an applicant who is coming to us from a practice setting, one of the letters may be from an employer.
- Submit a written essay through the online application. The essay should describe past experience as it relates to the applicant's interest in public health, career goals, purpose for applying to the program, and how the program will serve future goals.
- Proof of health insurance. If the applicant does not have health insurance, please click here for information regarding available insurance plans.
- A personal interview may be requested.
Please note: Medical students interested in the MD/MPH dual degree program must submit an application to both programs. The TMDSAS application will not be accepted by the GSBS. Note that the deadline for applications may differ for each program. Please be aware of this and meet all deadlines for each program
Requirements for Admission
Requirements are flexible and there are no minimum GPA or test score requirements. All applications are reviewed in a holistic manner, with no single factor determining a student's admission. Statistically:
- Average GPA of students offered admission is 3.4
- Average MCAT of students offered admission is 502.
- Average GRE of students offered admission is over 310.
Scholarship information and applications for the Master of Public Health Program may be viewed on the scholarships page.
|Fall||June 1 - International Applicants||Lubbock/Abilene/Online|
|July 1 - Domestic Applicants||Lubbock/Abilene/Online|
More Admissions Information
To apply for admission to Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Master of Public Health program, applicants are required to complete an application via SOPHAS. In addition, you will need to submit additional supplemental items via BioRaider.com.
When creating your bioraider account please use the same e-mail address used for your SOPHAS application.
This supplemental application must be submitted and required supplemental items received before your application will be reviewed for admission.
Please note the following:
- Send official transcripts to SOPHAS for verification purposes. Official transcripts
need to be mailed directly to SOPHAS from all colleges and universities attended.
If you have sent your transcripts to SOPHAS, please be sure to continue to monitor
the status of your application. If you do not see movement from the "Received" status
to the "Verified" status, you should follow up with SOPHAS directly to determine the
cause of delay. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure his/her application
reaches a verified status. You should send in official transcripts, even if course(s)
are in progress. Courses in progress will not impact your application.
- Please visit https://sophas.org/ or contact (617) 612-2090 for the status of your SOPHAS application.
- We require a submitted and complete SOPHAS application as well as a submitted and
complete www.bioraider.com application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Supplemental items required for the www.bioraider.com application include:
- Application Fee
- Oath of Residency
- International students will need to submit an official IELTS or TOEFL score.
Falsification of application information will void admission to Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. All sections of the online application must be completed, and it must be submitted prior to the application closing date, which can be found on the website listed above.
The GRE is required for international applicants but is now waived for domestic applicants.
When required, the program requires a valid GRE score within the last 5 years. GRE scores can be submitted using the ETS Institution Code 6851.
Students may request that MCAT scores be submitted in lieu of GRE scores, and such waiver requests should be sent to email@example.com . Waivers should include the applicant's AAMC ID and Verification Code. The Verification Code is on the MCAT display score report, and comprises four sets of numbers and letters. For example: ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP.
We require official transcripts from all U.S. institutions attended, including those institutions for which you received transfer credit toward your undergraduate degree.
Electronic official transcripts from U.S. institutions are preferred and should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do NOT send international transcripts and/or mark sheets. See application instructions below for more information.
Hard copy official transcripts should be mailed to:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
3601 4th St. MS 6206
Lubbock, TX 79430-6206
Medical students interested in the MD/MPH dual degree program must submit an application to both programs. The TMDSAS application will not be accepted by the GSBS. Note that the deadline for applications may differ for each program. Please be aware of this and meet all deadlines for each program.