Frequently Asked Questions | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
TTUHSC students walking through Lubbock campus courtyard.

Office Couch and Chair

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Counseling Center?

The Counseling Center is an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a counseling resource that enhances a healthy work attitude by providing employers and their employees the opportunity to manage life's problems before they become serious and impair work performance. It provides employees the opportunity to seek treatment for specific problems such as depression, anxiety, and marital/family problems.

What Benefits are Available to Employees Through the Counseling Center?

  • Individual, couple and family counseling
  • Health & wellness seminars and information
  • 24-hour crisis helpline/hotline

Who Can Use the Counseling Center?

The Counseling Center is for all employees and immediate family members who strive to maintain a healthy and productive attitude in their work and personal lives. Immediate family member is defined as spouse or minor/dependent child (under 18 years of age or still attending high school) living in the same household with the covered individual.

The program is a benefit provided by the employer at NO cost to the employee. Think of it as a partnership between the employer and employee to insure a better and safer workplace.

Employees can voluntarily access services. The services are private, professional and confidential.

Is the Counseling Center Confidential?

Absolutely! No information is released to employers or supervisors concerning an employee's identity or the nature of their problem. Visits to the Counseling Center are not recorded as part of the employee's personnel record or medical records.

Is the Counseling Center Easy to Use?

Yes! Simply call the number of the EAP provider in your area (in Lubbock: 806-743-1327 or 800-327-0328) and state that you would like to use your EAP counseling benefit.

How Much Does it Cost to Use the Counseling Center?

There is no cost to the employee for EAP services, including counseling. EAP resources are provided as an employee benefit. Your employer has determined the number of free counseling sessions available to you. If counseling is needed beyond those sessions, you will be given referrals and, in that case, you will be responsible for the provider's fees. Except in Lubbock, you may be able to continue working with the same counselor.

Where are the Counseling Center Offices Located?

The Counseling Center  offices in Lubbock are located in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, on 4th Street between Indiana Avenue and the Texas Tech Parkway. The room number is 1A300, which is just beyond the Psychiatry Clinic on the first floor, east wing (Pod A). Parking is also available in any Visitor's Lot. There are information desks just inside both the main entrance to TTUHSC and the entrance to the Texas Tech Physicians Medical Pavilion and they will be happy to direct you to the EAP offices.

Additional Questions

We would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Any inquiries will be confidential. Please refer to the "Contact Information" link on this site.

If you are in crisis and one of the following applies to you:

  • You feel you are in immediate danger of harming yourself.
  • You feel you are in immediate danger of harming someone else.
  • You have recently been assaulted or had a traumatic experience.

Please do one of the following:

  • Call 911 – you will be connected with the police who can help you get emergency services.
  • Call the Starcare Crisis Team (806-740-1414).
  • Go to your local emergency room.

Life itself still remains a very effective therapist.

Karen Horny