Referrals to The Counseling Center @TTUHSC | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
TTUHSC students walking through Lubbock campus courtyard.

Supervisor Referrals

As a supervisor or manager, you are often in the best position to help employees who are experiencing problems that affect their lives and/or job performance. When you become aware of such problems, you can encourage employees to seek the assistance and support of the Counseling Center and give them contact information for the EAP. 

Some employers allow supervisors to mandate employees to receive counseling through the Counseling Center in order to address job performance problems. These mandated referrals, known as "Formal Referrals", are usually part of a disciplinary process aimed at restoring an employee to acceptable levels of performance. EAP counselors can:

  • Help employees gain insight regarding their problems.
  • Teach skills (e.g., anger management, communication) that will improve employee functioning in the future.
  • Detect early signs of more serious problems.
  • Link employees with community resources that are cost-effective and helpful.

Call the main EAP office (806-743-1327) for information regarding how to make a Formal Referral to the Counseling Center. We'll also explain what information can be provided to you concerning the employee's attendance and cooperation.

EAP staff are also available to assist you in various other ways. 

Make an Appointment

The Counseling Center @ TTUHSC provides consultation and therapeutic services to employers, and their employees, with the primary mission being to promote health and wellness in the workplace.

Click here for: 

Supervisor Referral Form

If you are in crisis and one of the following applies to you:

  • You feel you are in immediate danger of harming yourself.
  • You feel you are in immediate danger of harming someone else.
  • You have recently been assaulted or had a traumatic experience.

Please do one of the following:

  • Call 911 – you will be connected with the police who can help you get emergency services.
  • Call the StarCare Crisis Team (806-740-1414).
  • Go to your local emergency room.

All great changes are preceded by chaos. 

Deepak Chopra