TTUHSC IT Policies
3. INSTITUTIONAL COMPUTER NAMING CONVENTION STANDARDS
Computer Naming Convention
To facilitate the easy identification of computers on the network, all TTUHSC computers
will be named using the following convention:
- 3-letter city code (e.g., AMA, ELP, LUB, ODE)
- Department code (e.g., IT, SOM, PED)
- 6-digit Tech Inventory number (five digit tag numbers will be preceded by a zero)
preceded by the letter “T” (The “T” signifies that the number is a Texas Tech Inventory
- If a Tech Inventory Number is not available, use the manufacturer’s serial number
without the letter “T”.
- If the manufacturer’s serial number is longer than 7 digits, use the last 7 digits
of the serial number.
For example, a computer in the Lubbock I.T. Division with an inventory tag number
of 7893 would be named LUBIT-T078943.