OU Campus Content Management System
Send for Approval
If an approval workflow is in place, and users, content areas, or a content type have
had an approver assigned, then a user may have to send the content for approval rather
than being able to publish directly. Content must be checked out before it can be
submitted for approval.
Instead of a Publish item on-screen, they will see a Submit button or Submit for Approval
item on the Publish menu.
Sending the page to an approver transfers the checked-out status from the current
user to the approver to whom the page is sent. The sent content is shown in both the
user's and the approver's Workflow with a status of Pending Approval. Content in an
approval workflow is also shown on the Pending Approval report.
Sending for Approval
Both pages and binary files can utilize the approval workflow.
- To: Select the user from the drop-down next to the To field. If an approver has been
enforced, the To field is auto-populated, and there will not be a drop-down available.
- Subject: Required. A brief subject used to help identify the file for review.
- Message: Optional. Users enter a brief description in the text field to help approvers identify
the changes that have been made.
- Send Copy to Email: Sends an email to the approver's external email address in addition to the internal
OU Campus message received in the approver's workflow Inbox.
- Submit Button: Click to send the content to the approver.
Reviewing Content Sent for Approval
Once content has been sent to an approver using Submit or Submit for Approval, the
content's status becomes checked out to the approver. The approver can access content
that has been sent to them from the list view of the content, from the Workflow using
the Dashboard > Workflow option on the global navigation bar, or by clicking the link in the external email
that was sent.
For more information:
Content that is awaiting approval is identified by the Thumbs Up icon in the Flag
column of the file's corresponding row. Files that have different icons in the status
column other than the Thumbs Up icon will be unavailable for approval but may still
be viewed by clicking the hyperlinked file path on the corresponding row in the list
view. It is important to remember that only one page can be selected to review at
To review a page sent for approval:
- Navigate to the content by choosing Workflow under the Dashboard dropdown:
- Click the linked content to view it in Preview:
- The page is available to edit, publish directly, reassign, decline, or decline and
Declining the page gives you the option to revert to a previous version:
- Reassign allows an approver to reassign content to another user. This sends the page
or file, with the edits made by the user who originally sent the page into the workflow,
to a different user. The page is then checked out to the new user and is in the new
user's workflow. Only Level 9 and 10 administrators and users who have access to the
content are shown in the drop-down list for users to whom the page may be sent.
--If the user has an approver, the Submit button is shown instead of the Publish button.
--To reassign from either the Publish or the Submit button, click the button and select
--Depending upon settings and the user, there may or may not be additional functionality
available with the Publish button, including Schedule and Expire.