Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and the Office of Graduate Medical Education value diversity, equality and inclusion in all aspects of health care – as part of providing excellent patient care, within our academic and professional communities, and in research. Our mission includes:
- Improving the health and well-being of underrepresented minorities through focused efforts in research, quality improvement, and institutional population health initiatives
- Working through our Diversity and Inclusion committee to prioritize a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our institution
- Actively recruiting a diverse community of learners, faculty, and staff into our community through institutional policy, faculty education on recruitment, trainee outreach through social media and recruitment at conferences, and our high school pipeline program
- Educating our professional community on cultural competency to raise awareness of and dispel bias, conscious and unconscious
- Tracking and reporting metrics on diversity to better inform our efforts and to measure our success
Our Residency Programs
Our faculty and residency program leaders recognize the important role diversity plays in creating a culture of collaboration and teamwork. We provide broad education for our residents on topics ranging from cultural competency to social determinants of health, and we work to incorporate these principles into scholarly work and the care of a diverse group of patients. We hold regular faculty development sessions on diversity to foster an inclusive workplace and raise awareness of implicit bias. We also believe strongly that a culture supportive of diverse providers contributes to optimal care for patients. We continue to look for opportunities to attract and support a diverse resident and faculty community and to support residents interested in expanding research or educational opportunities on the care of underrepresented and underserved patient populations .
Inclusion in Medicine
We strive to foster a safe and supportive environment for all residents. We host virtual events with residents and faculty members to provide time, space, and most importantly mentorship, to discuss issues related to diversity and inclusion in training.
Dr. McDade's Talk on the Current State of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in GME and Pathways Forward (May 2021)
Dr. Morales's Talk on Bias in Admissions (April 2021)