Kaisar, Mohammad Abul
Mohammad Abul Kaisar completed his Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honors) degree from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. He then received his Master of Pharmacy degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the same University while he worked on isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from natural sources especially from medicinal plants, and he successfully completed MPharm thesis on “Chemical and biological investigations of Quisqualis indica (Combretaceae)”. He served at the University of Dhaka as a faculty member (now on study leave) and enrolled as a PhD student in the Graduate Program of Pharmaceutical Sciences at TTUHSC in August 2013. At present, Mr. Kaisar is working in the laboratory of Dr. Luca Cucullo with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- MPharm: Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2004
- BPharm: Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2003
To develop a humanized dynamic 3D liver model to reduce animal utilization for the screening of drug metabolism and hepatotoxicity.
Before Admission to GPPS:
- Kaisar, M. A., Islam, M. R., Rahman, M. S., Hossain, M. K. and Rashid, M.A. 2009. Total Phenolic Content, Free Radical Scavenging Activity and Reducing Power of Quisqualis indica Linn. The Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 8: 173-175
- Rahman, M. Z., Rahman, M. S., Kaisar, M. A., Hossain, M. A. and Rashid, M. A. 2010. Bioactive Isoflavones from Erythrina veriegata L. Turkish Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 7: 21-28.
- Jahan, I., Rahman, M.S., Rahman, M.Z., Kaisar, M.A., Islam, M.S., Wahab, M.A. and Rashid, M.A. 2010. Chemical and biological investigations of Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook.). Acta Pharmaceutica. 60: 207-215.
- Kuddus, M.R., Rumi, F., Kaisar, M. A., Rahman, M. S., Hasan, C. M. and Rashid, M.A. 2011. Secondary metabolites from Melocanna baccifera (Roxb.) Asian Journal of Chemistry. 23: 85-88.
- Begum, R., Kaisar, M. A., Rahman, M.S., Chowdhury, A. M. S., Hasan, C. M., and Rashid, M. A. 2011. Clausenolide-1-methyl ether from Clausena heptaphylla W&A. Latin American and Caribbean Bulletin of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 10:136–138.
- Kaisar, M. A., Rahman, M. S., Rahman, M. Z., Hasan, C. M. and Rashid, M. A. 2011. A Review on Phytochemicals from Some Medicinal Plants of Bangladesh. Journal of Pharmacy and Nutrition Sciences. 1: 87-95.
- Ara, K., Kaisar, M.A., Rahman, M.S., Chowdhury, S.R., Islam, F. and Rashid, M.A., 2012. Antimicrobial Constituents from Garuga pinnata Roxb. Latin American Journal of Pharmacy. 37: 1071-1073.
- Sikder, M. A, Kaisar M. A., Rahman, M. S. Hussain, M. and Rashid, M. A. 2011. Active Hypoglycemic Fraction from Syzygium cumini L. Seed and its Safety Profile. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal. 14: 87-91.
After Admission to GPPS:
- Kaisar MA, Villalba H, Prasad S, Liles T, Sifat AE, Sajja RK, Abbruscato TJ, Cucullo L. Offsetting the impact of smoking and e-cigarette vaping on the cerebrovascular system and stroke injury: Is Metformin a viable countermeasure? Redox biology. 2017 June; 13:353-362. doi:10.1016/j.redox.2017.06.006
- Prasad S, Sajja RK, Kaisar MA, Park JH, Villalba H, Liles T, Abbruscato T, Cucullo L. Role of Nrf2 and protective effects of Metformin against tobacco smoke-induced cerebrovascular toxicity. Redox Biol. 2017 Aug;12:58-69. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2017.02.007. Epub 2017 Feb 12
- Kaisar MA, Villalba H, Prasad S, Liles T, Sifat AE, Sajja RK, Abbruscato TJ, Cucullo L. Offsetting the impact of smoking and e-cigarette vaping on the cerebrovascular system and stroke injury: Is Metformin a viable countermeasure? Redox Biol. 2017 Jun 17;13:353-362.
- Kaisar MA, Sajja RK, Prasad S, Abhyankar VV, Liles T, Cucullo L. New experimental models of the blood-brain barrier for CNS drug discovery. Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2017 Jan;12(1):89-103. Epub 2016 Nov 7.
- Kaisar MA, Prasad S, Liles T, Cucullo L. A decade of e-cigarettes: Limited research & unresolved safety concerns. Toxicology. 2016 Jul 28;365:67-75. doi: 10.1016/j.tox.2016.07.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Prasad S, Sajja RK, Kaisar MA, Cucullo L. Hyperglycemia exacerbates antiretroviral drug combination induced blood-brain barrier endothelial toxicity. Neurotoxicology. 2016 Jun 23; 56:1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.neuro.2016.06.011. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kaisar MA, Prasad S, Cucullo L. Protecting the BBB Endothelium against Cigarette Smoke-Induced Oxidative Stress Using Popular Antioxidants: Are They Really Beneficial? Brain Res. 2015 Nov 19;1627:90-100.
- Shikha Prasad, Ravi K Sajja, Jee Hyun Park, Pooja Naik, Mohammad Abul Kaisar and Luca Cucullo. Impact of cigarette smoke extract and hyperglycemic conditions on blood-brain barrier endothelial cells. Fluids Barriers CNS. 2015 Jul 24;12(1):18.
- MA Kaisar, L Cucullo. OTC Antioxidant Products for the Treatment of Cardiovascular and Other Disorders: Popular Myth or Fact? J Pharmacovigilance. 2015 Apr; 3(2). pii: e136.
- Podium Presentation: Mohammad A. Kaisar, Ravi K. Sajja, Shikha Prasad, Vikrant Vijay, Varsha Desai, Luca Cucullo. "Profiling Nrf2 regulated mitochondria-specific transcriptomics in Blood-Brain Barrier endothelium: Towards a mechanistic insight into drug toxicity". Sixteenth Annual Research Days, TTUHSC School of Pharmacy, Amarillo, TX; June 2017.
- Mohammad A. Kaisar, Ali E. Sifat, Thomas J. Abbruscato & Luca Cucullo. "To Vape or Not to Vape: Addressing Some E-Cigarette Safety Concerns at the Cerebrovascular Level." Society of Toxicology, Baltimore, MD; March 2017.
- Md. Abul Kaisar, Shikha Prasad, Pooja Naik and Luca Cucullo. "Revealing the Facts on OTC Antioxidant Countermeasure against Cigarette-Smoke-Induced Blood Brain Barrier Endothelial Damage." American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) 2015, Orlando, FL; October 2015.
- Md. Abul Kaisar, Shikha Prasad, Pooja Naik and Luca Cucullo. "Popular Antioxidant Supplements as a Preventive Measure of Cigarette Smoke Induced BBB Damage: Myth or Fact?". Fourteenth Annual Research Days, TTUHSC School of Pharmacy, Amarillo, TX; June 2015.
- Md. A. Kaisar, Shikha Prasad, Pooja Naik and Luca Cucullo. "Protecting the BBB from tobacco smoke damage using popular antioxidants supplements: Is it really working?" American College of Toxicology, Orlando, FL; November 2014.
- 11/23/2016 "To Vape or not to Vape: Investigating Cerebrovascular Risks and Unresolved Safety Concerns"
- 9/28/2015 "Impact of Chronic E-Cigarette Exposure in Altered Medical Conditions" [Oral Qualifying Exam public presentation]
- 04/01/2015 "Countermeasure of Tobacco Smoke Toxicity at the BBB Endothelium using OTC Antioxidant Products: Popular Myth or Fact?"
- Graduate Student Travel Support Award, Society of Toxicology, 56th Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD; March 2017 [rec’d Dec.2016].
- Outstanding Poster Award, Junior Graduate Student Category, Fourteenth Annual Research Days 2015, TTUHSC School of Pharmacy, Amarillo, TX; June 2015.
- Student Travel Award, American College of Toxicology (ACT), November 2014.
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, Student Chapter – Chair, 2017-2018.
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, Student Chapter – Chair-Elect, 2016-2017.
- Society of Toxicology, 2015-present
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2014-present
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, 2013-present
- Graduate Student Association at Amarillo, 2013-present